AbbyDaddy

Swing Hook Bucktails vs Fixed Hook?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I see some Uncle Josh's Swing Hook Bucktails on sale 67% off online for $2 of 2oz and $3 for 3-4oz. 

I've only used fixed hook bucktails (minnow/ball/Banana) and see that there is a john skinner swing hook s&s for $7 for the same 2-4 oz. Are these worth for boat use? 

Only posts I see are from waaaay back 2012. I saw those posts mentioning hook upgrades to VMC Permasteel siwash hooks. I fish NJ waters, if that matters. 

Edited by AbbyDaddy

The uncle josh's are ok, the hair and eyes will fall off quick but the fluke don't care, pretty good deal for 2 bucks.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I love the blue frog arrowhead swing hook bucktails. i fished the entire fall last year on two of them almost exclusively.  I feel like they excel where other bucktails would hang up.

I've never tried the Uncle Josh swing hooks, but bought some of their fixed hook offerings at a similar discount a few years back and did not feel the savings was worth the loss of quality verses other brands.

Edit: Just looked online at the sale items. Not sure of your intended use, but keep in mind the ones I see onsale are balanced for boat use, not surf/shore casting use. The S&S Skinner ones seem to be balanced for surf/shore casting.

Edited by davef

4 hours ago, davef said:

I love the blue frog arrowhead swing hook bucktails. i fished the entire fall last year on two of them almost exclusively.  I feel like they excel where other bucktails would hang up.

I've never tried the Uncle Josh swing hooks, but bought some of their fixed hook offerings at a similar discount a few years back and did not feel the savings was worth the loss of quality verses other brands.

Edit: Just looked online at the sale items. Not sure of your intended use, but keep in mind the ones I see onsale are balanced for boat use, not surf/shore casting use. The S&S Skinner ones seem to be balanced for surf/shore casting.

yeah, boat use only.