My new favorite stripping basket

Rate this topic

HL

With all the talk of stripping baskets I thought I would post about my new basket from HMH - the vise people. Until now my favorite basket was the "LineKurv".  I will never go back to a rigid basket.

BTW - HMH was sold - and the new owner sells the stripping basket.

http://tyingvise.com/product/line-tender/

The bottom is all mesh and the sides are solid nylon.  Without the inside "fingers" the basket suffers form the same thing that all other mesh baskets suffer from - the line falls to the lowest point and will probably foul.  But with the two inserts sold separately - the line stays where it belongs and pays out without issues.

The biggest reason I love it is that it is LIGHT and can be used on your hip.  The rigid baskets hurt my hip so it has to be mounted closer to my belly restricting the length of my strips - AND - it's in my way when I bend over to release a fish.  The HMH basket allows me free movement ans does not bind me when I bend over.  

Also - being mesh - water runs out instantly.

It fits so nice that I don't even know it's there.

Another advantage - it collapses and coils into its own mesh bag for shipping

It ain't cheap - but good things rarely are.

I have used it the past two mornings on my beach with no fouling or snarls.

And - to say it again - it is so light that I don't know I am wearing it.

Regards,

Herb

Herb thanks for the excellent review of how this basket works for you and your style. I would suggest you look into an elastic belt mod for this basket. Why settle for nylon belting when you have a comfortable elastic belt that will allow easy rotation of the basket depending on angler need? 

Killie

See:

https://bretonsfly.com/shop/hmh/hmh-linetender/

Put your curser over the 4 boxes in lower left corner.

JB - it's so well done I hesitate to alter it.  Unfortunately all attachments are sewn in - including the female buckle.  Also the buckle is on the left side which makes for awkward attachment because I am righty.  But I realized that my pliers and anything else on the belt is closer at hand without the buckle on the right side.  My left hand is not as strong as my right - so removing the basket with my left hand would be more difficult. BUT - being mesh the water would drain instantly.

Also -  it is so light that it doesn't slide down.

But I may alter it at some point.  I have  LOT OF TIME TO TEST UNTIL i GO BACK TO THE cAPE IN mAY.

hERB

Edited by HL

3 mins ago, HL said:

Killie

See:

JB - it's so well done I hesitate to alter it.  Unfortunately all attachments are sewn in.

But it is so light that it doesn't slide down.

But I may alter it at some point.  I have  LOT OF TIME TO TEST UNTIL i GO BACK TO THE cAPE IN mAY.

hERB

When I was browsing a certain social media site for the line tender that hooked on the belt I came across a rattan style woven belt deal. Looked super light and that's seems like a major plus. 

I need to look into learn how to weave that stuff would be good to make a hip basket that you can throw long strips into. 

I'm realizing the dishpan style basket is just too slow much too slow. Not dynamic enough. These days fish want fast presentations even in the evening. 

Herb

As you know I don’t like trays with holes. But also I don’t like rigid trays  like my Orvis where  we can’t easily bend over to land and release fish. Plus a pain when travelling by air.

The only way to know if a product like this will suit is to go out like you did and buy one.

Maybe temped.

oly

35 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Herb

As you know I don’t like trays with holes. But also I don’t like rigid trays  like my Orvis where  we can’t easily bend over to land and release fish. Plus a pain when travelling by air.

The only way to know if a product like this will suit is to go out like you did and buy one.

Maybe temped.

oly

That's why you need an elastic belt Mike. Elastic belt lets rotate the strip box to your backside for easier bending-down-ability. 

1 min ago, Mike Oliver said:

That’s great as long as it does not get dragged down around my ankles when a wave dumps into it. I foresee that happening. Equivalent of being caught with your trousers down. Effect pretty much the same. All remaining dignity gone. But much mirth for anyone else on the beach.

oly

Yes that could be a problem. I have to do my surf immersion test on my box soon. 

14 hours ago, HL said:

Hey guys.

The HMH feels like you are not wearing a basket.

Herb

Herb, sounds like the argument for wearing Boxers versus Briefs  :)

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT

4 mins ago, Uncle Stu said:

do you have a picture of the Shooters? can't find it on the web page.

Go to Herb's second link above.   To me this looks like the weakest aspect of the basket.  The shooters look like they will become detached and fall out of the basket quite easily.

Agree that a full mesh basket would perhaps be more comfortable than a hard shell basket but it has to hold up over time.  Structurally I see some problems already.

18 hours ago, HL said:

Killie

See:

Put your curser over the 4 boxes in lower left corner.

JB - it's so well done I hesitate to alter it.  Unfortunately all attachments are sewn in - including the female buckle.  Also the buckle is on the left side which makes for awkward attachment because I am righty.  But I realized that my pliers and anything else on the belt is closer at hand without the buckle on the right side.  My left hand is not as strong as my right - so removing the basket with my left hand would be more difficult. BUT - being mesh the water would drain instantly.

Also -  it is so light that it doesn't slide down.

hERB

This looks like an ideal solution for a wetsuit fly fisherman.