Van Staal VSX VS VR

Rate this topic

JerseyMike609

34 mins ago, JerseyMike609 said:

So I have been looking into getting a Van Staal and would like to get some feedback on what everyone thinks about them are they worth it and what is the difference between the VSX and the VR? Thanks!

This topic's been covered quite a few times on SOL if I'm not mistaken. If you haven't done so, I'd strongly recommend searching the topic on SOL.

1 hour ago, TopwaterPete said:

This topic's been covered quite a few times on SOL if I'm not mistaken. If you haven't done so, I'd strongly recommend searching the topic on SOL.

Surprisingly there hasn't been any post comparing the VR to the other theres alot of vs vs vsx post thoe.

6 hours ago, JerseyMike609 said:

So I have been looking into getting a Van Staal and would like to get some feedback on what everyone thinks about them are they worth it and what is the difference between the VSX and the VR? Thanks!

vsx is the way to go. 9’6 -10’ foot rod would be nice and light with a vsx150. I have a vr175 and vs200. both on 11 footers for plugging. great reels! search on sol or van staal group on Facebook.

I'm pretty new to Van Staal myself, but I've done tons of research, I've been fishing the VSX150 and VSX250 hard, and I can at least speak to some of their respective pros and cons.

First though, there's TONS of info online comparing the Van Staal lineup and discussing whether or not you should get one. That said, in a nutshell, the VS line is their original, fully sealed workhorse. The VSX is the same reel with better line lay and a better drag. The VR is their middle of the road, less expensive, appeal to a broader audience reel. It's purported to be sealed, and I've seen videos of them buried in sand and dunked in the ocean, but no one I fish with thinks they're as bombproof as the VS/VSX reels.

I haven't personally used a VR and I'm not interested in getting one, but I think there is 1 reason to get a VS and there are 3 reasons to get a VSX. Get a VS if you really want or need a VSX but can't afford to buy one, or if you can get a VS for a great price.

Get a VSX if you; 1. Have plenty of money to blow and want an iconic, bombproof reel that you'll never have to worry about. 2. Want a reel that you can get wet and dirty and you're lazy about maintenance, and you want it to work reliably for a long time. 3. You swim, even occasionally, and you don't want to spend even more money on a ZeeBaas. 

Number 3 above is the only GOOD reason to spend the money on a VSX, but to each his/her own. If you take good care of your gear, are going to keep it dry or fish it from a boat, and/or care about a smooth, easy to wind reel with a good drag, DO NOT GET A VSX. They have no bells and whistles, they reel like a car without power steering, they're called coffee grinders for a reason, and they're twice as expensive as reels that are twice as user friendly. On the other hand, if you want/need something that you can swim with, reel underwater, beat the crap out of, and know that it won't crap out on you, it's pretty much the best reel you can buy. 

Both are good reels. I own both. Nothing bad to say about VSX.

On one of my VRs I have had some line lay issues where the braid kind digs at the top of the spool. Annoying as it has resulted in a bad knot once.

On a larger model VR I have (whatever the biggest one is 200 or 250), I need to make sure the handle is in a specific position before I cast because if the handle is in the wrong position the fwd momentum of the cast can turn the rotor and the line roller can catch the line. This is really annoying. I usually have a bad cast then remember I need to adjust and then have no more bad casts. 

Other than that, great reels. 

19 hours ago, Mojua said:

I'm pretty new to Van Staal myself, but I've done tons of research, I've been fishing the VSX150 and VSX250 hard, and I can at least speak to some of their respective pros and cons.

First though, there's TONS of info online comparing the Van Staal lineup and discussing whether or not you should get one. That said, in a nutshell, the VS line is their original, fully sealed workhorse. The VSX is the same reel with better line lay and a better drag. The VR is their middle of the road, less expensive, appeal to a broader audience reel. It's purported to be sealed, and I've seen videos of them buried in sand and dunked in the ocean, but no one I fish with thinks they're as bombproof as the VS/VSX reels.

I haven't personally used a VR and I'm not interested in getting one, but I think there is 1 reason to get a VS and there are 3 reasons to get a VSX. Get a VS if you really want or need a VSX but can't afford to buy one, or if you can get a VS for a great price.

Get a VSX if you; 1. Have plenty of money to blow and want an iconic, bombproof reel that you'll never have to worry about. 2. Want a reel that you can get wet and dirty and you're lazy about maintenance, and you want it to work reliably for a long time. 3. You swim, even occasionally, and you don't want to spend even more money on a ZeeBaas. 

Number 3 above is the only GOOD reason to spend the money on a VSX, but to each his/her own. If you take good care of your gear, are going to keep it dry or fish it from a boat, and/or care about a smooth, easy to wind reel with a good drag, DO NOT GET A VSX. They have no bells and whistles, they reel like a car without power steering, they're called coffee grinders for a reason, and they're twice as expensive as reels that are twice as user friendly. On the other hand, if you want/need something that you can swim with, reel underwater, beat the crap out of, and know that it won't crap out on you, it's pretty much the best reel you can buy. 

That basically covers it all,thanks!

A lot of people will say bad things about the VR, but at the end of the day it is a great reel.  I have a vsx and a vr200, and I often find myself fishing the VR.  It's definitely smoother, and don't let anyone tell you it can't take a beating.  I'm confident cranking it underwater.  It is great for bay fishing and sod banks.

That said, If I'm rock hopping and really pushing things to the limit, I take out the VSX.

End of the day, both great reels that have their places.  But they have different applications, and if you're trying to compare the two for doing the exact same job then you are looking at it wrong. 

Also, be careful if buying a used VR because they changed the design and worked out some kinks.  Wouldn't recommend the original release of the VR.

Edited by Bluetaildragger

C&R

Thanks for all the experience info folks. I am by no means a hard core surf angler, (I've had some spinal reconstructive surgeries in my neck, permanent nerve damage,....... etc....., so I'm kinda limited physically as to what I can do as far as fishing). I find myself using my rod as a cane for balance on the rocks and even on the sand. I do love fishing the back bays and flats. Wading to some of the bars I fish in big currents, sometimes 100-150yds from main land, can be tough especially at night. I'm realizing the last thing I want to worry about is my reel. I've been greasing my reels for years in order to make them as water repellent as possible, mainly for the big surf on the LI ocean beaches. But these days I find myself not able to fish the "big water", so I'm fishing the back bays where my reel constantly gets dunked, or I'm struggling to unhook a fish because I'm also trying to not dunk my reel. My buddy has been fishing VS for years. He has been telling me to get one for the reasons above, I can focus on safely releasing a fish while not endangering myself. I do somewhat enjoy maintaining my reels. But after my last big bass in fast current, waist high, I lost my balance trying not to dunk my reel. After reading the comments here I'm sold. A Van Staal it is, after all safety comes first right? Since I don't need a "bombproof" reel, just water proof and able to reel underwater I'd prefer a bailed reel. Are both models offered in a bailed model? I know my friend will be happy not having to help me as much if I don't have to worry about my reel going under. Now I just need to wait for a few birthday's, Christmas's, and Father's days gift cards to get one. Until then, I'll be greasing the heck out of the reels I have.

Thanks, Matt 

Edited by mattyboyee

"When the last individual of a race of living things breathes no more,

another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one be again." 

William Beebe