computeruser

Hobie 360 mirage drive

12 posts in this topic

After Mirage 180 now we have Mirage 360. Any thoughts?...the bad part is that the new kayak is very expensive and Mirage 360 cannot be used on old Pro Anglers...but it is very cool nonetheless.

It's amazing technology.  We should all be really happy with how Hobie continue to reinvest in technology.  They now have the lowest and highest cost pedal drive kayaks so something for everyone.  If it turns out to be a solid drive and they put it in the Outback, I might consider upgrading to get it.

I haven't looked at it up close, but it does look like it might be more serviceable then the 180 drive.

If they come out with it for the Outback, it may just outprice it's usefulness. Like to hear from the average honest joe out there in the chop and swells without a hobie rep around. Plus a use and abuse test would be a plus and can it take a little sand intrusion?

I'm not sure how stable it would be in an outback. Going sideways would seem to flip easy as it's not wide enough compared to the battle ship pro anglers. I can definitely see the propeller drives coming out with a 360 of their own like a trolling motor. This is huge for holding structure and a drift line in wind for any of these drives. As stated many of times. $$$$$. The 180 drive is fine for me. At some point we are all going to have little gas outboard motors on our yaks. Drives almost cost the same anyway.

15 hours ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

I'm not sure how stable it would be in an outback. 

Seen the videos and this thing turns too sharp for my taste. I think it benefits the flat water fisherman but for safety sake I'm with you on sticking with the 180 for out front. 

It's a heavier unit so would like to know about additional stress on the drive well.

52 mins ago, SlackTideBri said:

Seen the videos and this thing turns too sharp for my taste. I think it benefits the flat water fisherman but for safety sake I'm with you on sticking with the 180 for out front. 

It's a heavier unit so would like to know about additional stress on the drive well.

It does have a new drive well design that had 6 years of testing but depends how hard it was pushed and also heavier I'm hoping it has aluminum drive gears to rotate the drive instead of plastic. Get debris or whatever in the rotating drive and that wouldn't be good(sand etc) over time that would mean replacing a $100 part.

On 8/18/2019 at 8:08 AM, FishingmaniYaks said:

It does have a new drive well design that had 6 years of testing but depends how hard it was pushed and also heavier I'm hoping it has aluminum drive gears to rotate the drive instead of plastic. Get debris or whatever in the rotating drive and that wouldn't be good(sand etc) over time that would mean replacing a $100 part.

I Got a 360 on Preorder. Rep said that gears are a quick change if you look close at pictures Gears in sections with screws. 

I will say that there was a time where I thought the 180 drive was a waste of money. Then I bought a new outback this year and on my first Tog trip I regretted ever saying it. That being said, the price point of 4800 bucks is getting to high and at that price you can buy a skiff on a trailer and a decent engine. Its almost pricing itself out of the market.

17 hours ago, Joser said:

I will say that there was a time where I thought the 180 drive was a waste of money. Then I bought a new outback this year and on my first Tog trip I regretted ever saying it. That being said, the price point of 4800 bucks is getting to high and at that price you can buy a skiff on a trailer and a decent engine. Its almost pricing itself out of the market.

Fishing out of a kayak is so diffent than a boat That's why we are on these Kayak forums. Some pay $5000 for a Bicycle do i think a bike is worth $5000 same goes for golf club sets its not my call. I say If you can afford the Tool that makes your sport more enjoyable GO FOR IT ! Hobie is # 1 in the industry when it comes to Peddle Kayaks Period !