jjdbike

Williamson Gomame Jig?

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Sir Defyable said:

I caught four bonito on one jig and one of the trebles got bent a hair. These were only four or five pound fish so I imagine if I hooked an 8 lb bonito it may be an issue.

They likely got bent while removing the hook from the fish :)

 

I've replaced all the trebles on all my little metal to 3/0 single inline hooks - 2/0 on the smallest of them. You won't regret it, makes every aspect of hooking, landing and releasing them easier :th:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, TimS said:

They likely got bent while removing the hook from the fish :)

 

I've replaced all the trebles on all my little metal to 3/0 single inline hooks - 2/0 on the smallest of them. You won't regret it, makes every aspect of hooking, landing and releasing them easier :th:

Thanks Tim,

Here's the eternal question... did your hook up and land rate decrease w/ singles?

What brand / model single inline would you recomend on these small metals?

I'm assuming epoxy's would be the same?

JD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TimS said:

They likely got bent while removing the hook from the fish :)

 

I've replaced all the trebles on all my little metal to 3/0 single inline hooks - 2/0 on the smallest of them. You won't regret it, makes every aspect of hooking, landing and releasing them easier :th:

Can't rule it out that's for sure, and a quick fix with pliars as well.

 

I am using single hooks more and more in weedy areas and hooking less grass off the surface with a single. I also may go a size smaller on replacement trebles, this is a size 4

5F100991-68A4-4E95-B43B-611A35725D08.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks Tim,

Here's the eternal question... did your hook up and land rate decrease w/ singles?

What brand / model single inline would you recomend on these small metals?

I'm assuming epoxy's would be the same?

JD

Fishing side by side with the same metals with trebles I land at least as many fish. Once stuck with a single they stay stuck. I've only used one type of inline single hook - VMC 7237BN - Size 3/0. They are strong, sharp, shaped well and haven't rusted yet :th:

 

I use 3/0 on most of my "shiny stuff" metals...2/0 or 1/0 on the really tiny stuff. As to epoxy lures, never used one, the shiny stuff still eat the non-epoxy lures too well for me to drop $10 on a 3/4oz lure :eek:

 

TimS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TimS said:

Fishing side by side with the same metals with trebles I land at least as many fish. Once stuck with a single they stay stuck. I've only used one type of inline single hook - VMC 7237BN - Size 3/0. They are strong, sharp, shaped well and haven't rusted yet :th:

 

I use 3/0 on most of my "shiny stuff" metals...2/0 or 1/0 on the really tiny stuff. As to epoxy lures, never used one, the shiny stuff still eat the non-epoxy lures too well for me to drop $10 on a 3/4oz lure :eek:

 

TimS

Thanks much Tim.

JD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, KironaFly said:

Well if it works for Tim S .... worth a try eh?

If I can do it, anyone can figure it out :)

 

I took some pictures of one of the two boxes of jigs I bring with me when looking for shiny stuff (albies, bones, chub mackerel, Spanish mackerel, mahi, etc)  Looking at the pictures makes me realize I need to reload on pink jigs :read:

 

IMG_6869.jpg

 

IMG_6871.jpg

IMG_6870.jpg

 

IMG_6872.jpg

 

IMG_6873.jpg

 

IMG_6874.jpg

 

IMG_6875.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

29 mins ago, TimS said:

 

IMG_6869.jpg

 

IMG_6871.jpg

IMG_6870.jpg

 

IMG_6872.jpg

 

IMG_6873.jpg

 

IMG_6874.jpg

 

IMG_6875.jpg

There’s an old riddle:

You walk into a town with two barbershops. One is neat, clean with all brand new stuff. The other is old, dirty, and hair everywhere. Which do you go to?

A: The dirty one because it’s used a lot

 

A lot of used stuff in them there pictures ; )

 

I have a few of the epoxies in the second picture down, what are they? Bought them a few years ago and can’t find them again.

Edited by Jason B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah this is good. There is a Skinner video out there about swapping out treble hooks for singles, albeit on Tsunami popping plugs as I recall. He ended up disappointed in the hook up ratio (missed a lot of fish strikes) and deduced that singles aren't all that good.

 

I have to say part of that problem may lie in when & how one sets a hook using singles. Also with epoxy jigs & flies the lure size itself is considerably smaller than a popping plug and hence is swallowed (easily) ... without the lure being snipped at or smacked; just gulped.

 

Single hooks are the way to go in my mind. Less damage to the fish (and potentially the fisherman). Thanks for the pics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, Jason B said:

I have a few of the epoxies in the second picture down, what are they? Bought them a few years ago and can’t find them again.

Those were way before 'epoxies' - I think Yozuri made them...they are softer than epoxy, like a rubber coating of sorts. To be honest, those are the last lures I'll throw - they don't cast as well, they don't sink as well and they come straight to the surface when retrieved. They are very lifelike...but I catch way more fish on the megabaits and those skinny little jigs :)

 

TimS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, KironaFly said:

I have to say part of that problem may lie in when & how one sets a hook using singles. Also with epoxy jigs & flies the lure size itself is considerably smaller than a popping plug and hence is swallowed (easily) ... without the lure being snipped at or smacked; just gulped.

I don't use them on plugs very often, but use them all the time on jigs - even big jigs for bass, tuna, cod...that kinda stuff. The only thing I do on larger lures is make sure the hook is perpendicular to the wider profile of the jig so when you pull it out of a fish's closed mouth the hook point will engage some mouth :)  Was a lot bigger issue before these inline single hooks came out - I used to have to put two split rings on a jig to make the hook face the right direction.

 

Plugs present lots of issues for single hooks...these little jigs are perfect for them :)

 

TimS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jason B said:

There’s an old riddle:

You walk into a town with two barbershops. One is neat, clean with all brand new stuff. The other is old, dirty, and hair everywhere. Which do you go to?

A: The dirty one because it’s used a lot

 

A lot of used stuff in them there pictures ; )

 

I have a few of the epoxies in the second picture down, what are they? Bought them a few years ago and can’t find them again.

JB- those are Yozuri Live Bait jigs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, TimS said:

If I can do it, anyone can figure it out :)

 

I took some pictures of one of the two boxes of jigs I bring with me when looking for shiny stuff (albies, bones, chub mackerel, Spanish mackerel, mahi, etc)  Looking at the pictures makes me realize I need to reload on pink jigs :read:

 

IMG_6869.jpg

 

IMG_6871.jpg

IMG_6870.jpg

 

IMG_6872.jpg

 

IMG_6873.jpg

 

IMG_6874.jpg

 

IMG_6875.jpg

 

19 hours ago, KironaFly said:

Yeah this is good. There is a Skinner video out there about swapping out treble hooks for singles, albeit on Tsunami popping plugs as I recall. He ended up disappointed in the hook up ratio (missed a lot of fish strikes) and deduced that singles aren't all that good.

 

I have to say part of that problem may lie in when & how one sets a hook using singles. Also with epoxy jigs & flies the lure size itself is considerably smaller than a popping plug and hence is swallowed (easily) ... without the lure being snipped at or smacked; just gulped.

 

Single hooks are the way to go in my mind. Less damage to the fish (and potentially the fisherman). Thanks for the pics.

Okay, so I'll keep the rear trebels on the poppers. jeeze, so many come stock w/ dressed siwash, including the Tsunami Talking Popper XD, is that different, i.e. dressed siwash vs inline single?

 

It makes sence about the diff between the small jigs being gulped vs larger plug being snipper or smaked.

Tim, I noticed the hooks on these jigs are larger than I would have thought. Way larger than the singles that now come stock on the Joe Baggs epoxies.  I'm guessing they would have a better hook & hold perecntage over the smller ones.

18 hours ago, TimS said:

The only thing I do on larger lures is make sure the hook is perpendicular to the wider profile of the jig so when you pull it out of a fish's closed mouth the hook point will engage some mouth :)  Was a lot bigger issue before these inline single hooks came out - I used to have to put two split rings on a jig to make the hook face the right direction.

 

Plugs present lots of issues for single hooks...these little jigs are perfect for them :)

 

TimS

So, by perpendicular, do you mean the hook point faces up, not sideways? Becuase in my mind, perpendicular would be sideways. I'm just trying to clarify because I ordered a bunch of inlines for my small metal & epoxy jigs I intend to use for Albies etc..

Thanks

JD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.