jjdbike

PowerPro Superslick V2: Any good?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

So I like PowerPro Superslick well enough on the couple reels I have it on. Though admittedly, I've been focused more on thinner diamiter brainds (which break at or closer to their advertised strength) for either better casting or more line on reel.

I recently (i.e. this week), ordered a Penn Conflict 2 long cast 4000 for a light distance outfit, to be matched w/ Black Hole Suzuki 10' surf rod rated 1/2 - 2oz lure and 10 - 20lb braid. Got J&H to spool it w/ V2 10 lb because that's what they had. Was it a mistake? Initially I wanted to spool it w/ Diawa Samurai for thinnes and distance but they didn't have it in stock.

Was that a good choice for this outfit or a mistake (i.e distance and knot strength)?

I'm going to get a second / back up spool filled w/ a little stronger line just in case. 

What do you folks think of this line so far? How's it for distance, FG knot directly to florocarbon leader?

Thanks in advance.

JD

30 mins ago, jjdbike said:

So I like PowerPro Superslick well enough on the couple reels I have it on. Though admittedly, I've been focused more on thinner diamiter brainds (which break at or closer to their advertised strength) for either better casting or more line on reel.

I recently (i.e. this week), ordered a Penn Conflict 2 long cast 4000 for a light distance outfit, to be matched w/ Black Hole Suzuki 10' surf rod rated 1/2 - 2oz lure and 10 - 20lb braid. Got J&H to spool it w/ V2 10 lb because that's what they had. Was it a mistake? Initially I wanted to spool it w/ Diawa Samurai for thinnes and distance but they didn't have it in stock.

Was that a good choice for this outfit or a mistake (i.e distance and knot strength)?

I'm going to get a second / back up spool filled w/ a little stronger line just in case. 

What do you folks think of this line so far? How's it for distance, FG knot directly to florocarbon leader?

Thanks in advance.

JD

I've not fished the 10lb on any saltwater setups, but have it on 3 freshwater rods and love the 10lb. Otherwise I have the 15lb on my fluking rods and love it, 20lb on my 8' surf setup, and the 30 on my 10' surf setup and also love it. You could say I'm a fan :) 

This new V2 doesn't get as fuzzy as the older V1 and seems to have better abrasion resistance. It has definitely held up better. It casts extremely well and knot strength has been just fine. I use an alberto knot from the braid to flouro leader. I fish 2-3x a week between fresh and saltwater and have been using the V2 since it first came out.

Samurai is amazing stuff as well and I would give it the slight edge in casting distance, as it's super limp. I have it on 2 other rods. The V2 launches really well though; I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Edited by TopwaterPete

1 min ago, TopwaterPete said:

I've not fished the 10lb on any saltwater setups, but have it on 3 freshwater rods and love the 10lb. Otherwise I have the 15lb on my fluking rods and love it, 20lb on my 8' surf setup, and the 30 on my 10' surf setup and also love it. You could say I'm a fan :) 

This new V2 doesn't get as fuzzy as the older V1 and seems to have better abrasion resistance. It has definitely held up better. It casts extremely well and knot strength has been just fine. I use an alberto knot from the braid to flouro leader. I fish 2-3x a week between fresh and saltwater and have been using the V2 since it first came out.

Samurai is amazing stuff as well and I would give it the slight edge in casting distance, as it's super limp. I have it on 2 other rods. The V2 launches really well though; I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Thanks!

JD

I've been using 8lb,20lb, 65lb and liked it enough to have picked up 2  30lb spools last week.  (I wish they made a metered line as I'd pick up a 65lb spool)

Everything that sucked about v1 is not in v2.

Compared to the J braids (x4,x8, Grand), the Spiderwires (stealth camo, Invisibraid, ultracast), Maxima 8, 

Hitena Silky, Finatic Pro....I've found the V2 to be a better all around line. It casts very nicely without being too limp and tip wrapping.  It is very durable and knots really lock up nicely and wear well over time.  It also doesn't really "break in" after  a trip or two it pretty much stays the same.  It's weave doesn't break down like the previous version and many other braids after use.   On some of my setups which saw the most use.  It still has that glossy shine.

I feel the only PE lines that really make a significant difference in casting difference are Gliss/ nanofil/ ssp fibre glide

But in my experience they have major drawbacks in the durability and versatility dept.

I got the 15lb In Onyx for my 7 footer back bay/fluke rod. 300 yards on a stradic 4k. It's pretty smooth, but J Braid is smoother IMHO. it seems to be somewhere between original PP and Sufix832 in feel. No complaints though no more fluffing or fraying like the original. The waxy coating was gone within two trips though. I'd buy it again if it were a bit cheaper.