online reports......

Rate this topic

Wilgabeast

6 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

I might have been able to hit the guy to my right with a rock I f I warmed up. nobody within sight to my left. think two fisherman rode by on bikes...yesterday late afternoon into night. 

It's beautiful isn't it... it's back to old canal times . When you had to have knowledge and know how and hard work ethic to find a few fish . Good old times 

The simple fact is that a lot of people that read those reports are as dumb as the rocks they stand on. They think that the Ditch is the same as a lake and that nice bass nest will be in the same place tomorrow. Ditch = high and low, west and east currents, slack current to about 6mph. All of this as the tides change in time an hour plus a day. Add in weather and finicky bait and a good spot just an hour ago could be a dud for days. BUT! post a pic or a video and hordes will show up for a week to stand in the same spot in the belief that the fish are there and only there. One good thing - when I see those posts I go anywhere else but and can usually find a nice spot.

Edited by speedwell

Puck - Ditch Troll #42 and Mouse #320, the Canadians  - Eh! At the Ditch for 50yrs

16 mins ago, speedwell said:

The simple fact is that a lot of people that read those reports are as dumb as the rocks they stand on. They think that the Ditch is the same as a lake and that nice bass nest will be in the same place tomorrow. Ditch = high and low, west and east currents, slack current to about 6mph. All of this as the tides change in time an hour plus a day. Add in weather and finicky bait and a good spot just an hour ago could be a dud for days. BUT! post a pic or a video and hordes will show up for a week to stand in the same spot in the belief that the fish are there and only there. One good thing - when I see those posts I go anywhere else but and can usually find a nice spot.

^^^ This!

You nailed it, Puck.

(I'm not one bit surprised.)

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

21 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

I might have been able to hit the guy to my right with a rock I f I warmed up. nobody within sight to my left. think two fisherman rode by on bikes...yesterday late afternoon into night. 

I want to fish with you Dingus.  Share your rock man!

I read the reports but as others said it just provides a general idea of what’s going on. Fish move and a good report doesn’t mean good fishing the next day. Of course  the shops want to get people into the stores so the report usually has a positive spin. “While canal slowed on Thursday the moon tide ,southernly breezes and girls jogging could bring the fish in from the east and the west”.

• 2 weeks later...

I recall a number of years ago (early-mid 2000"s) a prominent online magazine fishing report site that has been mentioned in this thread reported albies busting at the charles river locks in Boston (no, I didn't go chasing them...but I did laugh out loud...LOL)...so I take this stuff with a grain of salt. I glance at these reports to get a general idea of what may be around but rely much more heavily on my fish logs from past years...and to be fair to the site I was referring to, I think they had since changed hands and are run by a new group of people...