Diego Gaxiola727

Uglystik catfish 8ft casting do you think it would last in the pier?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hello! I’m new and i would like to say thank’s for the acceptance.

I live in Quintana Roo Mexico and I’m thinking about buying the ugly stik catfish 8ft rod ( we don’t have many options for long baitcasting rod’s. Actually that is an understatement we don’t have none hahaha) I would like to pair it with a torium 16 that i use some times botom fishing. But I’m worried that it doesn’t have the backbone to handle jack crevalle, big eye trevally, snook, snapper and the ocasional tarpon. I would be throwing live smal bait fish with around 2oz of lead. If everyone has experience would like to hear about it!

Posted (edited) · Report post

43 mins ago, Diego Gaxiola727 said:

Hello! I’m new and i would like to say thank’s for the acceptance.

I live in Quintana Roo Mexico and I’m thinking about buying the ugly stik catfish 8ft rod ( we don’t have many options for long baitcasting rod’s. Actually that is an understatement we don’t have none hahaha) I would like to pair it with a torium 16 that i use some times botom fishing. But I’m worried that it doesn’t have the backbone to handle jack crevalle, big eye trevally, snook, snapper and the ocasional tarpon. I would be throwing live smal bait fish with around 2oz of lead. If everyone has experience would like to hear about it!

The rod blank itself will do fine, but the reel seat is junk.

Make sure you use the reel clamp to keep the reel on the rod when fishing.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Ugly stiks are generally decent rods that will get the job done. Good luck and make sure to post up some pictures id love to see the type of fish you get down there.

Posted (edited) · Report post

@Badtothebugs Sure I hope I can get in to some fish soon, lately haven’t had any luck. Down here we’re struggling with the sargassum 

and make shore fishing a little difficult. But vertical jigging has been on fire. Three weeks ago I got my first sail on the jig! Tight lines!

E7DA8764-2BFD-46E8-9EDC-1618CF53C272.jpeg

Edited by Diego Gaxiola727

3 hours ago, Sweetwater said:

I think you would be happier with the tiger series. 

I was thinking that too, I did see that there is actually an 8ft medium light Uglystik Tiger rated from 1oz to 4oz.

Diego, St. Croix makes rods in Mexico, do you have access to purchasing any of they St. Croix rods?

There are some really good options for pier fishing if you go with the St. Croix Mojo Cat series.

Diego

Go with your guts.

Like you said, not much options.

At least, I would take a chance with this rod.

Uglystick has a solid reputation, cat fish are strong and could be a good fighters.

23 hours ago, Diego Gaxiola727 said:

( we don’t have many options for long baitcasting rod’s. Actually that is an understatement we don’t have none hahaha)

@Beastly Backlash @Badtothebugs @Sweetwater @Popasilov Thanks for all the help, I will buy it and test it. At the end of the day it’s the first time I’ve use a long casting rod and it’s a good starting point. Hope it’s here soon so i can te you how it handled and the fish hahaha. Thanks for all the help. If you’re ever down here ( Cancun, playa del Carmen, Tulum) hit me up. I have the hook up for good charters and great land based spots. Tight lines!

Edited by Diego Gaxiola727

21 hours ago, Diego Gaxiola727 said:

@Beastly Backlash @Badtothebugs @Sweetwater @Popasilov Thanks for all the help, I will buy it and test it. At the end of the day it’s the first time I’ve use a long casting rod and it’s a good starting point. Hope it’s here soon so i can te you how it handled and the fish hahaha. Thanks for all the help. If you’re ever down here ( Cancun, playa del Carmen, Tulum) hit me up. I have the hook up for good charters and great land based spots. Tight lines!

Post pics of how it works out for you.