linesiderdemdnj

Can you help me diagnose this squeak?

13 posts in this topic

Did a surf launch and got a wave over my yak with the drive in my lap when I beached it. Used my yak that night and it was silent. Launched off beach next day silent. Today I went to run crab traps out and it’s squealing like a pig. No clue what this could be, used lithium grease on the joints and in the crevasses and spots where the noise could potentially be coming from and it’s still squealing. I’m praying either hobie/Delaware paddle sports can help me out cause I really can’t put $300 dollars into this thing right now.... unbelievable. 

278D9D50-267B-4EED-A923-B44FC0C2531A.MOV

That video works. 

I would make sure all the cables are aligned, sometimes they slip to the side. 

Also the plastic sheathing over sprocket could be rubbing. 

It does appear that there is more tension to one side of the drum. As stated check cable tension and note where they lay. I think its favoring more to one side and just applying more pressure on the axle shaft.

If you have play between the two sprockets,  it maybe  time to snug up the cables as per Hobie’s recommendation.

D6C597B3-E70E-42E4-90FB-32ABE2BA0117.jpeg

Hi guys.  I watched the UK dudes tutorial of how to break down the drive to service/clean it and I did that and it sounds brand new. Looks like the sprocket in the rear had some issues. One of the roller bearings was flat on one side and I removed it. Also a bunch of wear on that area. Here’s some pics. It sounds brand new now with no noises and easy to pedal. Thank goodness. I will need to sand that area next time I break it down however. Now the only issue is my cables that hold the drums in place, the nuts keep backing out. Probably should get new ones. I also think I may have put them on in reverse - the rear cable in front and front in back. The  pic of the two roller bearings is one that is looking bad on the left and a good one on the right. I’ll probably have to make new ones of these as some look like the left one. I sanded off that edge that you see on the top. 

584EBFEE-B119-40EC-8D0F-BBD01DCF8560.jpeg

903B42AB-1B8E-4A1E-925A-61C32513F9C8.jpeg

978B32F1-76DB-46EC-A1B9-AAD3AD19882F.jpeg

42A9DBE4-074F-4108-9BD7-81D97DB6FDEB.jpeg

7A495DA6-1E0C-4BAA-B565-46E9EB748293.jpeg

12 hours ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

Hi guys.  I watched the UK dudes tutorial of how to break down the drive to service/clean it and I did that and it sounds brand new. Looks like the sprocket in the rear had some issues. One of the roller bearings was flat on one side and I removed it. Also a bunch of wear on that area. Here’s some pics. It sounds brand new now with no noises and easy to pedal. Thank goodness. I will need to sand that area next time I break it down however. Now the only issue is my cables that hold the drums in place, the nuts keep backing out. Probably should get new ones. I also think I may have put them on in reverse - the rear cable in front and front in back. The  pic of the two roller bearings is one that is looking bad on the left and a good one on the right. I’ll probably have to make new ones of these as some look like the left one. I sanded off that edge that you see on the top. 

584EBFEE-B119-40EC-8D0F-BBD01DCF8560.jpeg

903B42AB-1B8E-4A1E-925A-61C32513F9C8.jpeg

978B32F1-76DB-46EC-A1B9-AAD3AD19882F.jpeg

42A9DBE4-074F-4108-9BD7-81D97DB6FDEB.jpeg

7A495DA6-1E0C-4BAA-B565-46E9EB748293.jpeg

Uh Oh!

51 mins ago, Rick67 said:

Uh Oh!

It feels perfect man. Like so smooth, no noise at all. Kinda crazy but I will need to break it down and try to figure something out to make that smoother next time I service it for cleaning. I truly think these need to be maintained somewhat regularly