flylikabird

98.5 The Sports Hub Ten Year Anniversary

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Today was a great day in New England Sports for fans who truly appreciate the love of the game in Boston Sports History!

98.5 The Sports Hub celebrated their decade anniversary today from the guts of what was basically the end game of WBCN 104.1 and the new chapter of sports radio in Boston. 

The Toucher & Rich Show were the first to be locked into the new station format and others were soon assigned then established liked liked Zolak &Bertrand and Felger & Mazz.

I'm a huge fan and really  glad they were able to tell WEEI to eat a bag!5d535216bcf0f_98.5thesporthub.jpg.24a40643024914d1fef3fdf64e9011e5.jpg

Edited by flylikabird

Boston sports media as a whole sucks.

All they do is piss, whine and moan or create false controversies so they have something to talk about.

The only radio show I can listen to anymore is Mustard & Johnson on Saturday mornings on WEEI.

Whenever I listen to 98.5 I have to turn it off after 5 minutes. WEEI sucks even more. I was super psyched when Kirk was fired. Callahan getting fired was icing on the cake. I've been giving Greg Hill a chance but find their overall knowledge of Boston sports to be rudimentary at best.

When I drive in to work I pretty much listen to XM comedy now. Or WBZ for the traffic reports.

6 hours ago, zak-striper said:

Boston sports media as a whole sucks.

All they do is piss, whine and moan or create false controversies so they have something to talk about.

The only radio show I can listen to anymore is Mustard & Johnson on Saturday mornings on WEEI.

Whenever I listen to 98.5 I have to turn it off after 5 minutes. WEEI sucks even more. I was super psyched when Kirk was fired. Callahan getting fired was icing on the cake. I've been giving Greg Hill a chance but find their overall knowledge of Boston sports to be rudimentary at best.

When I drive in to work I pretty much listen to XM comedy now. Or WBZ for the traffic reports.

4 hour shows are alot of air time to fill up...I'm always amazed by the callers, guys will wait on hold for up to an hour sometimes just to spend 30 seconds on air discussing a really dumb point...the best callers are right around the trade deadline, some of their trade suggestions are pure gold...

Love it.  Best station ever. They outlasted all that came up against WEEI. The zone, that show in RI where Zoe came from. They are hot and got the Patriots and Bruins. They spawned after the Patriots 3rd title and what a freaking ride.  3 finals for the Bruins and one cup, 3 more Patriots Super Bowls. Deflate gate , you name it.  Glad that Zoe is still there, he’s the man...yeah!!!! 

19 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

EEI at its peak (what...'05 or so) was the best sports radio maybe ever, from the morning crew up until the whiner line. the big show was hilarious. 

I use to call the Whiner line all the time. My co-workers friend was Frank From Gloucester.  Some good times back then. 

That's cool.   I used to love to listen to the Whiner Line before the Sports Hub came along.   

I used to listen to nothing but music and zero sports talk up until the early 2000's.   There was a good reason for that.  

Right around the time of the Boston Red Sox first run for a World Series is when I started listening heavily to sports talk (WEEI).

I used to listen and call in to Mikey Adams.....he was great.

When T&R flipped to 98.5 from 'BCN and WEEI basically jumped the shark I started listening solely to the Sports Hub.   

Just a quick heads up yesterday's 10 year look back should probably be found on their site.   I caught most of it and their montages we're awesome from the midday and afternoon drive.  The Sports Hub production value blows away all other stations in Boston other than WZLX.  Know why?...two words.   John Reilly.   His award winning production staff have been gracing the airwaves for a long friggin' time.    

Rich Shertenlieb's Boston Marathon Bombing personal experience on that day was simply amazing.  What he and his family went through along with all the other victims that day was tragic.   It's worth a listen as a Bostonian and an American. 

5 hours ago, The Riddler said:

I use to call the Whiner line all the time. My co-workers friend was Frank From Gloucester.  Some good times back then. 

ive had to pull over on 24 I was laughing so hard...the mary carillo guy was fuqn hilarious.