Gulp Alternatives!

Rate this topic

JerseyMike609

Joebaggs makes a scented curly tail that I fished hard this year, especially if I was running a teaser hook for fluke and the gulp tails were getting destroyed. Profile length of the 4" mullet but casts like the 3" on an average jig head. Scent lasts but won't ruin your car with a leak.

69CA538B-4AE0-495B-AAB0-D341F3F967C4.jpeg

Yo-Zuri had a great product for a while called Exite-a-bite.  It came with more plastics than gulp and almost half the price. They are also very strong and can withstand snapper blues.  They can still be found online, I stockpiled them when i found them for $2 a pack. I still prefer flounder belly strips or other fresh fish strips. Its getting hard to justify paying more than a dollar a bait that gets bit in half first drop.

16 hours ago, Dan Tinman said:

The Gulp plastic itself is a special formula that is porous so it absorbs the scent juice.  That's why regular soft plastic tails soaked in the juice don't work as well as the Gulp plastic.  I asked a local shop about complaints.  The answer was yes.  They asked the Berkeley rep about the plastic being softer and the answer was that it was made that way to "improve the product".   The latest batch I bought is so soft it's unusable after one hit.  This bothers me because I usually recommend using Gulp 4" Swimming Mullets on a couple of the jigs I make and sell a lot of.  In all good conscience I'm going to have a hard time continuing that.  I really don't want to endorse what I feel is a poor product. Gotta start looking for a better idea.  I'm going to be on OBX later this month.  This Z man stuff might be the solution.  

This stuff right here with the Pro-Cure product ............ definitely rivals Gulp in a serious way !!

16 hours ago, TimS said:

You guys that use the Zmans - which style/sizes do you use for bigger fluke? Never tried them, I prefer sea robin/fluke belly on bucktails...but there are times when Gulp just works - and like Dan, I'm fed up with the stuff tearing apart after one fish :squid:

TimS

I've used the Scented JerkShadZ and Curly TailZ infused with Pro-Cure on bucktails.......:heart:

14 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

I've used the Scented JerkShadZ and Curly TailZ infused with Pro-Cure on bucktails.......:heart:

Times 2 on what Yogiiiboy said Tim.  Works great on the flounder down here in NC.  Agree with other posters that nothing absorbs scent better than Gulp and it's a great product.  But not durable and kind of pricey.  Zman baits aren't perfect.  As noted, they'll melt all your other plastics down and they are very difficult to rig compared to most other plastics.  That Elastec (Sp??) plastic wants to keep its shape at all costs and doesn't want to go on a jig head or swimbait hook without a lot of effort.  But very soft with great action and they hold up extremely well.  They've become my go to plastic bait for just about everything. 

This past weekend I was catching lots of short fluke and sea robins for a couple hours with gulp (every cast), decided to try some regular plastic since I was getting consistent bites, and literally didn't even get a bite for 10 casts, switched back to gulp and started catching again. I need to try this pro-cure stuff.

30 mins ago, nateD said:

This past weekend I was catching lots of short fluke and sea robins for a couple hours with gulp (every cast), decided to try some regular plastic since I was getting consistent bites, and literally didn't even get a bite for 10 casts, switched back to gulp and started catching again. I need to try this pro-cure stuff.

No doubt about it....Gulp is for real and is great stuff but as mentioned, breaks way too easily and is expensive.  Give Pro-Cure a shot (shrimp and anchovy super gel) and put it on any desired soft plastic.  Z-man has certain baits already infused with the scent.................:th:

Elias V makes a good point on YouTube. He uses plastics and pro-cure for short drifts and cast & retrieves so he can periodically add scent and uses Gulp on party boats where you do long drifts and can’t reapply scent as easily. 

5 hours ago, AbbyDaddy said:

You guys are giving me conflicting opinions here. Recommend the best rods/reels/line but skimp out on bait? I thought the consensus was stock up on Gulp when on sale so we don't pay full price? 

I keep reading that Gulp is best and alternatives don't produce - at least for fluke. 

As of now I'm sure 9 out of 10 people who replied strictly rely on Gulp,I know I do but the point of the post is to talk about the alternatives and how they compare.I havent found anything that works as good but I'm sure there are products I've never heard of or tried so there could be something just as good out there and if there is I'd like to know about it or at least other reliable options i can use when my Gulp is getting destroyed so quickly I stop using it.

I've heard that Gulp is made with some type of potato as an ingredient and to everyone who is planning on trying Procure it works well on regular plastics but if I remember correctly it doesnt stay on Gulp. "Not that you need to put it on Gulp" but incase anyone tried.