JerseyMike609

Gulp Alternatives!

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

First off I want to say that I'm a big fan of Gulp but I'm sure everyone has noticed the decline in the products durability over the years and have looked into alternative products.Ive tried leaving my Gulp out to dry for various amounts of time Mr.Twisters,Otter Tails,Fat Cow,Fluke Bellies,Fishbites Fight ClubAmerican Stink and all the attractants (Procure,Gulp Juice,Lip Glue,Smelly Jelly,Fin-Essencs) all witch catch fish but I have yet to find one equal to or better than Gulp!Has anyone found a replacement for there Gulp?

I use Otter Tails soaked in Gulp juice, don't know if it gets absorbed. Starting with Gulp bait when the tail is bitten off I put the Otter tail on and have caught large fluke. The OT doesn't dry out you could leave it on if you didn't have to remove the Gulp. 

47 mins ago, JerseyMike609 said:

Yea it's hard to beat live bait but I was really talking about "Gulp" like artificials.

I know, I think too much is made about Gulp.  I do use bucktails with curly tails and get about the same results as Gulp and bucktails.  If the bait is moving and looks like a swimming fish it is going to get hit if there is a fish around.  I think crabs like Gulp the best lol I see guys tossing Gulp like a hunk of meat and leaving it sit.  Crabs love that.  

Make your bait resemble a living fish and you will have good results if you are where the fish are.  

Z man with Pro Cure-- flounder (fluke to youse), redfish, speckled trout & inland stripers.  Much more durable, doesn't dry out.  I've noticed no difference in catch rates and fewer trash fish-- lizards, sea robins, oyster toads etc. 

2 mins ago, bmac said:

Z man with Pro Cure-- flounder (fluke to youse), redfish, speckled trout & inland stripers.  Much more durable, doesn't dry out.  I've noticed no difference in catch rates and fewer trash fish-- lizards, sea robins, oyster toads etc. 

Have you noticed a difference between flounder pounder or shrimp scent?

I haven't tried the flounder pounder ecks.  I usually use shrimp, mullet or menhaden as those are the prevalent baits in our area.  I really haven't noticed much difference in any of them, but I haven't exactly tested it to see. 

44 mins ago, bmac said:

2nd that.  Was down in OBX, Captain swore by Z-man.  Way more durable, doesn’t get bit off as easily by small toothy pests, or dry out.  They have tons of styles and color patterns.  Only a matter of time I think until it’s more of a household name up here.

50 mins ago, bmac said:

Yea, A couple weeks ago I was thinking about ordering some zman grubz but I never got around to it.