Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JButts

Modding My New LL Bean Waders

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I bought some TEK Bootfoot waders from LL Bean on sale for 190 bucks.  These are your basic run of the mill low end LL Bean bootfoot. Two notable additions though over the waders you may know from the past: superseam adhesive seams, no stitching. I had a pair of Emerger superseams that only had two seam leaks over their lifetime so that's pretty good. The other addition is velcro fastening permanent wader belt and velcro fastening suspenders with a Y on the back of the suspenders(the two straps join to a single strap. The belt attaches to two rings on either side of the centerline of the front of waders and you tighten with the velcro. These are much more comfortable than a belt buckle wading belt, in my opinion.  

You get the basic tiny interior pocket for like a wallet or something. I can fit a fly box in there but not pliers. 

I like the waders but I feel it needs a big exterior pocket. So I'm going to add one. Going to make it so that it will also provide me with a fleece-lined handwarming pocket. 

I'll cobble together this pocket and then sew it onto the waders and then cover the seams with aquaseal topped with some nylon for protection. Seems like a home run. I think it will run about $25. I already have the aquaseal and I don't have to pay for labor. I could have just bought the Emerger bootfoots but that model's boot lacks a steel shank. It's sort of floppy and annoying to deep wade in or walk over cobble with. I hate them.  

Am I crazy? Trying to decide if I want heavy durable nylon or a really super thin kind for the pocket. The pocket doesn't need to be waterproof but I want to have a waterproof backing to it to keep the fleece from getting wet.

I guess I am also going to replace the LL Bean suspenders with some of my own devising. I don't like the Y strap on the back and the straps on the front have so much velcro that they don't have much stretch so you can't easily slip them on or off.  

I use a small dry bag. Its enough to fit your phone and keys to your vehicle. I hang them inside my wadders and never had a problem.

Plus this wont void and of LL warantees 

Good call on the warranty. I should fish these for a bit first and make sure there's nothing that would require warrantying them. I'm not worried about replacing these via warranty at the end of their life. Two seasons of hard fishing is all I ask. Three would be nice. To me that would satisfy the guarantee LL Bean: satisfaction. A handshake between Bean and Me.