The Fisherman

Mike Oliver, how's this for a two-handed cannon?

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Is that a fly rod??? And follow-up question is that the ghost of Tom Waits' Renfield in F.F. Coppolla's Dracula movie appearing in the reflection? 

TomWaitsRenfield2.jpg

That's funny right there!  

I like how they brought the fish all the way indoors and are unhooking it in front of the baseboards.

2 hours ago, JButts said:

Is that a fly rod??? And follow-up question is that the ghost of Tom Waits' Renfield in F.F. Coppolla's Dracula movie appearing in the reflection? 

TomWaitsRenfield2.jpg

Now that is an excellent take!

Good old lump of either lancewood or greenheart.

Men were built tough then. Dressed that way you had to be tough.

They used to wet wade in February in snow melt rivers. Waders were scorned on.

Any fish yet. Enjoying our now very wet summer.

Mike

9 hours ago, Oakman said:

That's funny right there!  

I like how they brought the fish all the way indoors and are unhooking it in front of the baseboards.

Okie he is merely warming up a little before re engaging.

Mike

18 mins ago, Hook I said:

Back then there was an abundance of fish , must have been easy to hook up . 

Hook the man that wrote about greased line fishing took a  beat   on the Carrington  water on the R. Dee. In two months  of fishing he killed over 370 Salmon. This was back in around the 1920’s.

You have plenty of experience to write from with catches like that.

Thats what they did in those days they killed them. The concept of C and R not yet part of the mind set. I could imagine the response if anyone had raised it.

How times have changed and the fishing degraded to so badly.

lots of casting these days for few if any fish.

mike

28 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Hook the man that wrote about greased line fishing took a  beat   on the Carrington  water on the R. Dee. In two months  of fishing he killed over 370 Salmon. This was back in around the 1920’s.

You have plenty of experience to write from with catches like that.

Thats what they did in those days they killed them. The concept of C and R not yet part of the mind set. I could imagine the response if anyone had raised it.

How times have changed and the fishing degraded to so badly.

lots of casting these days for few if any fish.

mike

Mike

Maybe back then anything hit the water could be a guarantee take . Aquatic life without pesticides and angler participants could have made fishing life simple .

Possibly. Mr AH Wood was pretty well off to afford his prime beat. He even paid for fishing jetties to fish from as he was not a keen wader. Numbers fishing would have been much lower than today.

Fishing easier because runs were just so much larger. Better chance to find a taking fish.

When I was just a young boy the closest I was able to get to both trout and salmon was to read every book in my local library.  I so wish I had at the time the foresight to buy those same books when the library discarded them.

No doubt the fishing was way better but they had their blank days to.

Because the fish of kings mentally for me was so out of reach I just forgot about them in my early twenties. Very recently my interest has peaked and at a time when it could not be any harder to catch even just one fish. Don’t even begin to think about the cost.

Mike

I fished in Derbyshire for a weekend in 1985- Duke of Devonshire private water near Chatsworth- even then I was required to whack every fish I landed....  And had to dress- shirt & tie, no wading...