Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AbbyDaddy

"Party Boat" - Bring your spinners!

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

8/13/19. Weather looks good for Wednesday. We will be leaving between 5:30 and 6am. Fishing was good yesterday, but remember you have to fish for them. The fish are not going to be handed to you. Please bring your spinners and jigs and gulp. The power pro on the spinner makes it 100% better. See you in the am.

This was a FB announcement from my frequent party boat out of Belmar. What to make of this? I would ask on FB, but for the sake of anonymity, I decided against it. 

While I do bring a light tack spinner, I also bring a light tackle baitcaster. Previously the boat said to leave your bait rods at home. So I'm sort of guessing they mean heavy bait rig rod/reels? 

He just means that guys that can cast away from the boat will do better. For most people that means a spinning rod.  He's been saying it for a couple years and yeah they way he writes sounds a little tough-guy ish, but he knows what he's doing. He's a sea captain with lovely hair....not a writer. :)   His boat fills up by 4AM for a reason.

2 hours ago, AbbyDaddy said:

8/13/19. Weather looks good for Wednesday. We will be leaving between 5:30 and 6am. Fishing was good yesterday, but remember you have to fish for them. The fish are not going to be handed to you. Please bring your spinners and jigs and gulp. The power pro on the spinner makes it 100% better. See you in the am.

This was a FB announcement from my frequent party boat out of Belmar. What to make of this? I would ask on FB, but for the sake of anonymity, I decided against it. 

While I do bring a light tack spinner, I also bring a light tackle baitcaster. Previously the boat said to leave your bait rods at home. So I'm sort of guessing they mean heavy bait rig rod/reels? 

So yes, when fishing that boat, they don't fish heavy bait rods. They fish light spinning or baitcasting gear, and gulp/bucktails/jigs are the way to go. A spinning rod gives you flexibility to fish any way, whether the tide is ripping or its dead slack.

I suggest to use very light spinning rods with bucktail/gulp.

I used 6'9" Black Hole Challenger Bank 691UL to get my limit (4) by early  in the morning on a party boat out of Montauk last Sunday.

20190811_094928.jpg

Edited by ksong

I try too use a "lighter" setup when I can these days, I always bring a second set up that is one step up, you never know when you may have to fish heavier. Based on his post I assume the captain is anticipating very good conditions for light presentations.

Personal preference my brother and a fishing buddy prefer to fish heavy rods just incase a beast they didn't plan to target shows up. With the newest wave of composites you can do it. A Heavy is lighter and feels like a medium from just a few years ago.

Edited by nfnDrum

I always carry a spinning rod with 10lb braid for fluking, when the drift slows this rod becomes my weapon of choice as i can cast up current and work the jig back to the boat. Currently fishing a Centaur Constellation UL with a 3k Spinner straight to the jig/bucktail w/o a teaser.