JButts

Boater-Shore Angler Etiquette

Rate this topic

73 posts in this topic

45 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I guess I stand corrected.

It seems like boaters pretty much have the right of way.

Boat anglers can fish on top of shore anglers and if the shore angler attempts to continue fishing and they accidently hit the boater or accidently damage the boat with a cast then it is the shore angler's fault and the shore angler can be held liable for injuries to person and damages to property.

Is my understanding correct?

Yes.  The desire to fish does not excuse negligent (or intentional) harm to person or property.

7 mins ago, CWitek said:

Yes.  The desire to fish does not excuse negligent (or intentional) harm to person or property.

Kind of sucks for shore anglers then.

If boat anglers get wise they could crowd the shore anglers out of the accessible fishing spots, sort of like a batter crowding the plate.

Fishing with my buddy (very new angler) has a cast off the rocks into the inlet, get away from him. The bucktail lands in a boat and hooks onto the captains sons pants (we all learned afterwards). My buddy thinks he has a fish he's 30yds down the jetty I'm looking at him and his rod asking my other buddy that's between us, is he fighting a fish or a boat? Then the rod straightens out and I barely see his braid blowing in the wind. Within a minute a boat pulls up in front of him just off the jetty, a man and young boy are in this 18ish ft. Boston Whaler, the man throws the jig back to my buddy (who I don't really fish with any more), and says your jig caught my sons pants, I had to cut your line, I'm so sorry for getting in your way. The boater thought he was at fault for being in the way of a jetty anglers bucktail that caught his son's pants. Whatever that's worth related to this topic.

P.S.: Makes me think of another topic I may start "Fishing buddies that you choose to no longer fish with and why? What did they do?"

Best, Matt

1 hour ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Kind of sucks for shore anglers then.

If boat anglers get wise they could crowd the shore anglers out of the accessible fishing spots, sort of like a batter crowding the plate.

People just need to show a little consideration.  We could all live better if folks invoked the Golden Rule a bit more than they do.

In the end, everyone is to blame.  When I was young, the harbors along the western Connecticut shore used to get clogged with schools of bunker, and bluefish would come in most mornings and tear them apart.  The folks on shore—docks and bulkheads, not beach—would have bluefish ripping through bunker at their feet, but instead of keeping their casts short, they’d rear back and toss their treble hooks into the middle of the harbor, casting right over the boats fishing 100 or more feet out (which was far given the congested conditions).  Boats cast over other boats.  It was a horror show, and completely unnecessary, because no one, on boat or shore, needed to cast more than 50 feet to snag all of the bunker and catch all of the bluefish that they needed.

The fish weren’t always in, of course, but it was during the good bites when the worst behavior occurred.

20 hours ago, CWitek said:

This tends to be my approach to life.  I run a boat, so I'll give the surf folks room, because they're stuck on the beach while I have other options.

But as you noted, the exception to that is a marked channel.  That's my road, and folks ought not to play in the road; if they do, they have an obligation to stay clear of traffic and not interfere with free transit of the channel.  Yes, it's good to back off the throttle and not wake the folks in the water, but when you're running an inlet, you're generally not looking at who's on the beach; you're trying to pick up the next set of buoys, looking for breakers if the inlet is rough, looking for boats that might pose a collision risk, etc.,  

And as you note, the boats fishing in the channel can be very problematic.  Was running a narrow section in my local inlet a couple of weeks ago, with shoals on both sides.  An outboard decided to drift for fluke right at a turn, with the drift perpendicular to the inlet.  I chose to drop my throttle to dead slow, and pass fairly close by the boat on the up-drift side, because if I passed on the other side, the slot was narrow enough that the boat could have drifted into me if I passed by too closely, while if I gave it what I was sure was enough room, I could have ended up on a sandbar (which is a particularly bad outcome when you have inboards).  The guys in the boat started yelling "Thanks" after I passed them, so I wouldn't be surprised if I picked up a like or two, but if it's a choice between cutting a line or running aground, the line is going to lose every time.

Completely agree.  If you run a boat long enough you'll be given a choice of doing what's "polite" or not hazarding your vessel or passengers.  The latter always wins.  That said, a lot of boaters don't think any further ahead than their bow lights.  For the most part it's lack of experience or proper training, but some of the worst offenders are tournament guys who know better but do it anyways because they've got to get out there first or they're getting late for a weigh in.  Makes me real glad to know that I'll be fishing weekdays only within a year--if I live that long.  Cheers.    

I find the best approach when a single boat pulls up on me on shore is to just keep chirping at the captain. I get under the skin pretty quick with trying to embarrass them instead of a threat. Shame them for their bad behavior like their mother would. Just keep chirping......they may swear at you a bit but they usually leave. This works especially well if the a hole boater has other friends on the boat. 

17 hours ago, Tailslap said:

I find the best approach when a single boat pulls up on me on shore is to just keep chirping at the captain. I get under the skin pretty quick with trying to embarrass them instead of a threat. Shame them for their bad behavior like their mother would. Just keep chirping......they may swear at you a bit but they usually leave. This works especially well if the a hole boater has other friends on the boat. 

that's one way to deal with it. unfortunately I'm not much the man of the words. especially if the surf and boat engine are roaring. I'd ask him to move aside once. After that: I'd cast in front and to the sides of the boat. He'll move. 

On 8/14/2019 at 7:54 PM, mattyboyee said:

Fishing with my buddy (very new angler) has a cast off the rocks into the inlet, get away from him. The bucktail lands in a boat and hooks onto the captains sons pants (we all learned afterwards). My buddy thinks he has a fish he's 30yds down the jetty I'm looking at him and his rod asking my other buddy that's between us, is he fighting a fish or a boat? Then the rod straightens out and I barely see his braid blowing in the wind. Within a minute a boat pulls up in front of him just off the jetty, a man and young boy are in this 18ish ft. Boston Whaler, the man throws the jig back to my buddy (who I don't really fish with any more), and says your jig caught my sons pants, I had to cut your line, I'm so sorry for getting in your way. The boater thought he was at fault for being in the way of a jetty anglers bucktail that caught his son's pants. Whatever that's worth related to this topic.

P.S.: Makes me think of another topic I may start "Fishing buddies that you choose to no longer fish with and why? What did they do?"

Best, Matt

I dropped one for snagging a steelhead in Upstate NY on the fly and posting it after high holing me at the spot.  Literally the guy pointed and said start casting there, Im pulling my line throught the guides and he drops a fly in the hole, snags a huge hen which I then help him net take his ****** pictures moments before pulling the fly from its cheek.  He even got some mention of it up there in an online forum, snagger is a snagger fishing for likes on instagram, no thank you.

While i dont think deliberately casting lead at a boat is something you should do, I cannot imagine rolling up to a fixed position with multiple sharp objects cast in my direction for very long.  Collectively snagging the boat tackle wordlessly and in unison would quickly move any idiot off the spot.  You dont want a cop waiting for you on a jetty because you dinged some idiots gel coat.  

5 hours ago, misha said:

that's one way to deal with it. unfortunately I'm not much the man of the words. especially if the surf and boat engine are roaring. I'd ask him to move aside once. After that: I'd cast in front and to the sides of the boat. He'll move. 

I will also cast around the boat to show he has moved into water I was fishing first. But watching them squirm from my words is quite fun. Try it. 

Another thing to consider is if someone is in the water wearing waders would the law/rules consider them the same as someone swimming. Because if they did there are a lot of rules about how close boaters can come to shore. You could probably call the local  harbor master and tell them these boats are right on top of a swimming beach and that could be dangerous. You boat guys better hope you don’t pull up on me on shore..........

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, misha said:

I tried once to talk you off the ledge of violence, but you replied with arrogance.

You, sir are half the reason there are issues on any beach. Because you just can't walk away when it's the better move. You no more own the sand you stand on than does the boat in front of you own the water it's on. Your pure hubris and arrogance furthers the fight between us and further divides us who all should be working together to save our resource. 

I call this idiocy. If you still take this to heart, then I guess you are, or must be,..... 

Edited by Ben Lippen