JButts

Boater-Shore Angler Etiquette

Rate this topic

73 posts in this topic

24 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

If you seriously think that the only idiot is the one in the boat coming too close and/or crossing your line, and not your reaction  by throwing something at him....

I guess you just still don't get it.

And that makes you just as much an idiot as him.

Screw you, Ben. Read my previous post carefully. 

4 mins ago, misha said:

Screw you, Ben. Read my previous post carefully. 

That's nice. 

I've read your posts since you first got here.

I posted my opinion of your post.

I don't believe anyone should advocate throwing stuff at anyone at any time.

Guys like you, that talk about, and do the things that you talk about just drive the sport further into the ground. You are no more help to other good anglers than any poacher.

So, thanks for that. You've flexed your muscles. Did you look good in the mirror?

Do ya think your kids thinks so?

1 hour ago, Ben Lippen said:

If you seriously think that the only idiot is the one in the boat coming too close and/or crossing your line, and not your reaction  by throwing something at him....

I guess you just still don't get it.

And that makes you just as much an idiot as him.

I am curious, what would you do if you were shore fishing and some guy walked right up to you, stood next to you, and started fishing. Maybe they are bait fishing and they spike 3 rods right next to you.

Seems you would just move and let them have the spot. Right?

The fact is...

When you go to a shooting range you do not walk out onto the range and stand next to the targets.

When you go golfing you don't stand on the green as someone else is taking their shot at the hole.

When playing darts you do not walk infront of the guys throwing.

When you are on a boat or other water craft you don't drive in front of people actively casting.

I don't advocate casting at a boat, but I will not stop fishing and or casting where I please because someone in a boat motored into the area I am casting. I will do my best to not hit the boat, but wayward casts are a part of fishing.

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 mins ago, PlumFishing said:

Bet if that happened you wouldn’t turn to the side and throw a 3oz bank sinker at their head. 

No, you would tell them to move and chances are they would because they are not on a boat.

But, I don't see the average angler just tucking their tail between their legs and walking away because someone walked up on their spot. Same as I think it is unreasonable to walk away from your spot because a boat pulled up on you.

The average angler will either be cool with it or they will stand their ground.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

1 min ago, Beastly Backlash said:

No, you would tell them to move and chances are they would because they are not on a boat.

But, I don't see the average angler just tucking their tail between their legs and walking away.

The average angler will either be cool with it or they will stand their ground.

My post was directed to the one above yours. So we generally are in agreement. 

My point was if the person is 10 feet away or 100 feet away that throwing a lead weight is wrong. 

4 mins ago, PlumFishing said:

My post was directed to the one above yours. So we generally are in agreement. 

My point was if the person is 10 feet away or 100 feet away that throwing a lead weight is wrong. 

Agreed, playing beam lead is just not smart if you value fishing, you can't fish if you are in prison.

But, if you are actively fishing and an accident happens because some boater went in front of you while you were casting, that is the boaters fault for putting themselves in harms way.

8 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

That's nice. 

I've read your posts since you first got here.

I posted my opinion of your post.

I don't believe anyone should advocate throwing stuff at anyone at any time.

Guys like you, that talk about, and do the things that you talk about just drive the sport further into the ground. You are no more help to other good anglers than any poacher.

So, thanks for that. You've flexed your muscles. Did you look good in the mirror?

Do ya think your kids thinks so?

I don’t need to flex muscles at anybody. And mirror and kids have nothing to do with any of it. You were tough enough to call me an idiot, or express your opinion, as you put it, and I simply suggested for you to go and screw yourself, that’s my opinion. I think it’s fair. You have luxury of choosing your own schedule and fish at night-good for you, not everyone here has that. At least not every day. And for those days when I’m out there, and some idiot pulls a boat in front of me, he will be asked to move away, if he wouldn’t that’s too bad. BTW, most boats that I see were coming close to begin with, after jetty guys were landing their lures around them were smart enough not to do that anymore. So they learn. Show them they have much more water at their disposal and if they have half a brain they will understand.

I was on a trip down south and we found schools of red fish from shore.  Boat comes and pulls up maybe 30 feet in front of us and all i could think is here we fing go.

Our NE boat vs. Surf angler instincts kicked right in.  We started looking at each other with that "really wtf"  look.  Well turns out that the redfish could care less and the boat guy turns to us and points in the water next to the boat and says "there right here"  with that we started casting to the fish he pointed out and catching.

Worked out really well.

I have had yakkers point me to schools of bunker and mullet back when NJ still had jetties as well.

But usually i get territorial and have casted in front (not at) of a boat to let them know they are well within range

17 mins ago, Captain Ahab said:

But usually i get territorial and have casted in front (not at) of a boat to let them know they are well within range

My point exactly. 

Those nicer boaters are an exception, that only confirms the rule.

9 hours ago, Popasilov said:

No need to be on the jetty

Just stay in this thread

You can stay whenever you want. But next time you on your boat - remember what people say in this thread.

seems to me you've got 2 choices, either walk away, head down, tail between your legs and let the other guy walk all over you, or make a fuss, shout, scream, fire warning shots.  Neither is a great result, the boat guy wins every time.  Life sucks sometimes.