JButts

Boater-Shore Angler Etiquette

Rate this topic

73 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, FlukUlele said:

Cant tell you how many times I'm fishing the shore at a popular inlet on the western south shore and someone will back their boat in, anchor it and lay on the beach.  One brings two, three and then there's no shoreline left.  I find it infuriating and I don't understand it at all; if I had a boat I don't think I'd use it to go somewhere parking is 80 bucks a year.

Agreed, place is a zoo over the summer. Much more fun and less intrusive to anchor up on a sand bar away from shore.

26 mins ago, Popasilov said:

Why only 3oz?

Why not 10 or half a kilo?

Next time bring a 12 gauge short barrel

3oz is good enough. If after taking it in the hull he wants to stay put or come closer, then he’s got much serious issues then etiquette.

Surf vs boater is a war that's been going on for generations

I scanned this from On The Water by Post

Early 1960's

5d5330866f4ee_OnTheWater-jettyboatfight1.jpg.c9a27298989d49dc14407c7d6613ae16.jpg5d53308a03b74_OnTheWater-jettyboatfight2.jpg.4f31440d45ef1c40d95b47c39362ee92.jpg5d53308c423f5_OnTheWater-jettyboatfight3.jpg.ae84dec7b8fba0c5585364565cae110a.jpg

You really want to see a show watch the fly boats vs the surfcasters in Montauk !!

Years ago it got so bad I started carrying a weighted and sharpened squid jig that would slice up the arseholes flylines. Other guys were casting at the boats (not for me, don't need to put a guy in the hospital and go to jail over a fishing spot)

One idiot charter captain got so close the surf got him and completely trashed his boat on the reef, either Kings or Browns, don't remember now, it was a while ago. 10 +/- years later and I'll bet there are still some bits of his boat stuck in the rocks.

38 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Other guys were casting at the boats (not for me, don't need to put a guy in the hospital and go to jail over a fishing spot)

One of the smartest posts in this thread, Sudsy.

Look, I completely understand the feeling you get when someone encroaches on your space. But resorting to any type of physical retaliation simply sets the stage for people to be hurt and potentially for lives to be ruined. Imagine some dope in a boat gets too close to a bunch of rock jockeys who all fish together regularly.  There’s strength in numbers so one of them feels emboldened enough to launch a tin at the boat. Only it doesn’t hit the boat. Or the guy on the boat. It hits the boat guys wife in the face and takes her eye right out of her skull. Guy on the boat sees his wife hit the deck, eye out of her head and thinks she’s dead. He’s now out of his mind and wants blood. He runs the boat into the rocks, bounds up to where the group is fishing and shoots and kills everyone holding a fishing rod. Think something like that can’t happen? Better think twice before you start trouble with anyone. You never know what can go wrong or what the other guy is capable of. Plenty of lives have been ruined over stupid chit like this. Unless your back is against the wall, you’d better walk away. 

2 hours ago, 27conch said:

Throwing sinkers or anything else at a boat is down right dumb, irresponsible and criminal to boot. You could take someones eye out or worse and  spend the next 5 years of your life in jail.  Let's say your kid was on that boat.  You want me zipping 3oz sinkers at his head??

Having said this, I would never move into an area when I had my boat that would impede guys already fishing on a beach.  It's just common courtesy.

Unfortunately common courtesy is a thing of the past for most people now.

Happened last year in the Canal. I guy casted a 5oz Savage and it went over the boat the he jerked rod, the Savage popped up and wrapped around his neck, the hook penetrated and stuck into his neck just missing main vein. Then the surf fisher kept jurking his lure alomost pulling the solo boat person overboard. He said that if he didn't have a knife at his reach he would have pulled him over into the Canal and would have been gone. The pictures were narley with thee Savage hangging on his neck just missing the vein.

The Police, CG, Army Cor, were looking for this guy, I don't think they ever got him.

Oh Ya, he was not fishing he was cruising threw the Canal...

These are great stories. I'm getting angrier and angrier at the shore troller who came through where I was fishing the other day. He was moving so slowly too and it was really shallow water and a seal was following him and I hope he sank (would have been able to walk ashore easily). 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I really did think that after all of these years, some kind of common sense would have taken hold on this subject.

Sad to see that the idiot mentality still prevails.

Anyone who espouses and/or encourages throwing anything at anyone at any time because they don't like what they are doing is at the least an idiot. At worst perhaps a criminal. This kind of behavior has no place in the civilized world. 

Just because you saw or heard about someone else doing something stupid, doesn't mean it is the right thing to do. Or that you should follow suit.

No wonder I fish in the dark by myself and talk to no-one. 

Edited by Ben Lippen

3 hours ago, Theseeker66 said:

While i do agree it's not smart,  there isn't a way to handle it properly.  Few weeks ago a guy lost $1000 plus dollar setup to a boat.  He's sol, the boat is effectively gone forever.  

No recourse for the surfcaster,  boat guys get away with whatever. 

Even if it's only losing your braid, that happens a few times people start taking matters into their own hands.

$1000 setup lost? We talking gold braid?

31 mins ago, JButts said:

These are great stories. I'm getting angrier and angrier at the shore troller who came through where I was fishing the other day. He was moving so slowly too and it was really shallow water and a seal was following him and I hope he sank (would have been able to walk ashore easily). 

This is a great visual!   Navy SEAL or great white bait?  You’re wouldn’t be pulling our collective leg would you?:huh:

18 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

I really did think that after all of these years, some kind of common sense would have taken hold on this subject.

Sad to see that the idiot mentality still prevails.

Anyone who espouses and/or encourages throwing anything at anyone at any time because they don't like what they are doing is at the least an idiot. At worst perhaps a criminal. This kind of behavior has no place in the civilized world. 

Just because you saw or heard about someone else doing something stupid, doesn't mean it is the right thing to do. Or that you should follow suit.

No wonder I fish in the dark by myself and talk to no-one. 

Idiots are the ones who have boats and still encroach to the tips of the jetties or shallower surf and interfere with surf and jetty fishers. And if surf and jetty fishers politely leave and let the boaters-idiots fish their spots, well then they are even worse idiots. 

Fishing rocks most of the time I’ve seen my share of both. 

Ok, I admit, that casting sinker deliberately into the boat is excessive measure, but usually if a guy doesn’t react to a polite request to get the f**k out, I do a warning shot few yards away from his boat. Works every time.

And by the way, not 100% sure, but I think there’s a regulation that prohibits boats to approach the structure like jetty tips etc by 200’ or so. Not sure of exact distance.

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 mins ago, FlukUlele said:

This is a great visual!   Navy SEAL or great white bait?  You’re wouldn’t be pulling our collective leg would you?:huh:

Well I don't know if the seal was really following him but when he had me waiting for him to pass a seal popped up and seemed pretty intereted in what the boat was doing.  And I hadn't seen the seal until the boater came through so I feel I can blame him for it :) In any event no fish showed up, which I will also blame on the boater I think :)

Edited by JButts

15 mins ago, misha said:

Idiots are the ones who have boats and still encroach to the tips of the jetties or shallower surf and interfere with surf and jetty fishers. And if surf and jetty fishers politely leave and let the boaters-idiots fish their spots, well then they are even worse idiots. 

Fishing rocks most of the time I’ve seen my share of both. 

Ok, I admit, that casting sinker deliberately into the boat is excessive measure, but usually if a guy doesn’t react to a polite request to get the f**k out, I do a warning shot few yards away from his boat. Works every time.

And by the way, not 100% sure, but I think there’s a regulation that prohibits boats to approach the structure like jetty tips etc by 200’ or so. Not sure of exact distance.

If you seriously think that the only idiot is the one in the boat coming too close and/or crossing your line, and not your reaction  by throwing something at him....

I guess you just still don't get it.

And that makes you just as much an idiot as him.