JButts

Boater-Shore Angler Etiquette

Rate this topic

73 posts in this topic

What are the "rules of the road" when it comes to boaters working close to shore within range of shore anglers? One specific situation I had in mind is those boaters that like to troll within 50-100 feet off the shoreline. Is it kosher for them to troll through your fishing area and basically make you wait for them to putt putt through and then wait for their lines to clear? Does depth of water make a difference? 3 feet of water vs. 8 or 10? Time of day--high noon vs. just after sunset when fish might start feeding on surface? I know some fishing spots have their own rules like a piece of structure where boats will drift and shore anglers will jig same bit of water. But with trolling very close to shore it seems there's a conflict that can't be avoided and basically the shore angler has to stop fishing if the boater is intent on fishing in front of them if a tangle is to be avoided. Then there's the question of whether a trolling boat will disperse fish or put them down if they are on the feed.     

Edited by JButts

A question long debated, often heatedly, here and on beaches and bar-stools for as long as surf fishing has ben around.

The simple answer is, the only rules you should follow are those mostly long gone basic rules of etiquette. If someone was there first, it is their water to fish. Be they in a boat or on the beach. Give them enough space that you think is fair, then move another dozen yards away.

RESIST the urge to mug them ! 

Trollers are a different story, as they are moving. However they should allow for surf /jetty lines in the water, and never run into a pod of bait or a blitz.

Sad fact is, aside from most of us that are members here, those rules don't seem to apply or matter to those that we encounter most times. 

My advice is, if you have an issue, just pack up and move on. Ya just cant trust that some assshat wont escalate a situation.

It sucks, but that's the world we now live in.

Also, fish between midnight and dawn like I do. I rarely see anyone except for other nuts like me out at that time. And I always enjoy my walk on the beach, catching or not.

Ben

Edited by Ben Lippen

Cant tell you how many times I'm fishing the shore at a popular inlet on the western south shore and someone will back their boat in, anchor it and lay on the beach.  One brings two, three and then there's no shoreline left.  I find it infuriating and I don't understand it at all; if I had a boat I don't think I'd use it to go somewhere parking is 80 bucks a year.

30 mins ago, FlukUlele said:

Cant tell you how many times I'm fishing the shore at a popular inlet on the western south shore and someone will back their boat in, anchor it and lay on the beach.  One brings two, three and then there's no shoreline left.  I find it infuriating and I don't understand it at all; if I had a boat I don't think I'd use it to go somewhere parking is 80 bucks a year.

im a local here as well... I have no clue why ppl anchor up at a public beach versus going elsewhere.... Don't get me started with the jetskis in April/May

43 mins ago, misha said:

No rules.

3oz sinker on the line and into the hull. 

I don't cast at boats but I talked to a guy who tried fishing a very popular shore spot from his boat. He drifted by on the outside of it and he said the shore anglers all switched their lures from bucktails to metals and start dropping them around his boat so he gave up on that idea. 

That's how it used to be at Canarsie Pier in Brooklyn during blues blitzes. Only there were switching lures to sinkers and lobbed them straight into the boat that wondered "mistakenly" at the line of fire.

Throwing sinkers or anything else at a boat is down right dumb, irresponsible and criminal to boot. You could take someones eye out or worse and  spend the next 5 years of your life in jail.  Let's say your kid was on that boat.  You want me zipping 3oz sinkers at his head??

Having said this, I would never move into an area when I had my boat that would impede guys already fishing on a beach.  It's just common courtesy.

Unfortunately common courtesy is a thing of the past for most people now.

I understand that everyone has a right to access their own bit of water but no one should ever launch some kind of a projectile at another person over fishing territory. Even saying it in jest Might give some idiot the idea that launching a weight or a jig at someone’s head is the correct way to handle a  “fishing space” dispute . 

While i do agree it's not smart,  there isn't a way to handle it properly.  Few weeks ago a guy lost $1000 plus dollar setup to a boat.  He's sol, the boat is effectively gone forever.  

No recourse for the surfcaster,  boat guys get away with whatever. 

Even if it's only losing your braid, that happens a few times people start taking matters into their own hands.

Boaters will come in to casting distance of the local pier and most of the time they are greeted with lure being cast at them by the other guys there, i dont do that.

One time a boat trolled right by the pier quite within casting distance and with much yelling back and forth he replied 'why dont you buy a boat!'. To which one smart man replied 'why so I can fish right around the pier??'. Amd the guy was running a charter...

Its 8 dollars to fish our pier.

The old saying goes shore fisherman cast out towards the boats and boat fisherman cast in towards the shore.

But the worst is the tourists on rental jet skis.

1 hour ago, misha said:

No rules.

3oz sinker on the line and into the hull. 

Why only 3oz?

Why not 10 or half a kilo?

Next time bring a 12 gauge short barrel

The issue is the same in freshwater as it is in saltwater.

If you fish from the bank, guys fishing from boats will flock to your position.

Even worse, lets say you decide to night fish to avoid those issues, bowfishing guys will pull right up on you, blast you with their high-powered halogen bulbs, shoot anything they see right over your lines, and keep moving. I have considered getting a laser pointer to handle the latter issue. Waving them off of your position using a flash light does not seem to work, if anything the moment they know you are fishing they will bring their bowfishing rig within 25ft of where you stand on the shore.

Bowfisherman are absolute scum, I will take jet skiers over those POS's.

After speaking to a DNR officer, his comment was if the boat comes within casting distance and they get hit from a cast, it is the boaters fault.

I do both. Boat you have a lot more options than the shore guys, so I make sure to give them more than enough room.

I had a jet ski guy cut me off from less than 10 yards from shore last weekend while doing some beach fluking. Idiot wanted to jump the breakers. I’m usually pretty good at managing my emotions, but man did I want to wring that guy’s neck. When he sped away he got within feet of slamming into a jetty.

Edited by C.Robin

Just now, Popasilov said:

Why only 3oz?

Why not 10 or half a kilo?

Next time bring a 12 gauge short barrel

The point is if you are in a boat, just stay out of casting distance.

If you want to work the same piece of structure the shore guys are working, you can cast to it from your boat.