CS

Classic albie fly

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Looking through one of my old fishing journals from 1994 and found the entry with the first two albacore I ever caught on a fly rod (I call them "LT" for little tunny in the journal). Caught them on an Orvis 10 wt "Saltrodder," which at the time was just about as good as it gets. That's the actual fly -- I retired it after that monumental day. But that same generic pattern went on to catch a lot of albacore. This was before epoxy flies, etc. Note my leader in the journal entry: 25-pound test tippet. No fluorocarbon. I'll bet the same set-up would still catch... 

Kind of related: Sept/Oct issue of American Angler just ran a story I wrote about fly fishing from the beach for albies called "Waiting for Albert."  It's not a how-to story; more about the down time between hook-ups (which, as any albacore angler knows, can be long...)

Hope the albies are getting ready to storm the beaches -- one of my favorite fish to catch...

Stephen Sautner

classic albacore fly.jpg

I hooked my first one from the beach in 1998- bent the handle on my Battenkill 8/9 with the knuckle bash.  By the end of 4 days of fishing, I smoked two battenkills.  All white yak hair clouser. was the go to.

We all have our favorite Albie fly

then we all acknowledge there are days when they just don’t want our favorite 

my favorite for years was a very small white deceiver 

My first fly albie was on a synthetic Clouser with the eyes tied on the wrong side of the shank. Still have that fly somewhere too.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I don’t think this is classic in a historical sense. 

I never caught albies up north but that changed after moving to South Florida and I have caught plenty since then. We have had great success fishing with Scott Hamilton using his Eat Me pattern. Supposedly easy and inexpensive to tie and, based on personal experience, very durable. It can be tied in various sizes and colors with all white, and police and chartreuse top being more popular. 

flies_big.jpg

Edited by tomkaz

11 hours ago, Orca said:

"Waiting for Albert"  like the title !

Thanks.  Play on Samuel Beckett.  Hopefully Albert actually shows up though (unlike Godot)...

I'd post the full story, but there's no online version -- just old-fashioned print.

When it’s on , everything works. When it’s off it sucks. I hope we don’t have a micro chovie year. Hard!