Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishnbear

Albie Line Spool / Backing Y or N ?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Need to put line on 3 Spinfisher V 4500 spools. They hold 280yds of 20lb braid which is what I plan on using. Any disadvantage to having backing when targeting albies ( shore & yak ) ? If no how much backing should I use? 

Thx T

You should either 1) put a wrap of electrical tape on the arbor of the spool and load the braid directly on that, or 2) just put a few wraps (maybe up to 10 yards???) of mono just to avoid having the braid slip around the arbor (the former is easier and quicker than the latter). You just need something to anchor the braid to the arbor.  But for all intent and purposes, just like the prior post states, you don't need backing (at least extensive yardage as in what I believe you may be referring to)...

One amendment to my prior post - I believe that penn reel may have a rubber strip on the arbor (but not entirely certain since I don't have that reel) which would eliminate the need for adding electric tape. If that's the case, that would cancel out my prior suggestions, and would make things even that much easier - just load the line right on.

I too have been using electrical tape to coat the bare metal spool prior to loading the braid.   I've been doing this for years now with success.