Bob fishhead Sproul

Great spots that no longer exist.

Rate this topic

87 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Chinese restaurant in Ridgefield Park... Nothing spectacular, but it was a local hole. Lot was closed off, and heavily enforced.

Edited by Sheisty

21 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

https://earth.google.com/web/@41.08549633,-74.27687787,105.86072148a,11440.70705775d,35y,0h,0t,0r

3rd biggest lake in NJ

Virtually off limits for my entire lifetime.

There have to be some absolute slobs in that lake between the hybrids, pike, largies, and smallmouth! I wish they would at minimum do what they do at Newark Watershed w permits. I understand they have to know who's in there...

On 8/13/2019 at 0:35 PM, Bob fishhead Sproul said:

The last beach at the end of CM was my go to spot in the 60s. Deep water all the way up to the restaurant next to the Jetty motel. 

Beach replenishment turned it into a small shallow area that is only used by the surfers and boogie boarders these days :(

That's 2nd Street and it was indeed a gem before replenishment. Same thing can be said for the Point jetties....there may be nubs left but the damage has been done.

There was a pond somewhere in matawan I used to go with my dad.  We called it monks.  I remember parking in what I think was a school parking lot and walking down to a small round pond in the woods.  Chock full of giant lmb's.  Amazing places we used to have access to.  

Little Egg Inlet.  Used to hold Bass the entire month of November.  Anchor anywhere near a bar, chunk clam or bunker, and it was almost a guarantee you would catch.  Just a matter of picking the right time of the right tide.

Use to fish it about 30 days each fall, and catch on all but one or two.  Since Sandy, I have caught 1 fish, and I have probably tried about 40 times.

My whole group doesn't even try anymore.

4 hours ago, HardyG said:

That's 2nd Street and it was indeed a gem before replenishment. Same thing can be said for the Point jetties....there may be nubs left but the damage has been done.

That jetty was about the easiest to walk

and to get to, but as a kid I hardly ever remember

it being crowded until after maybe 9 am. Only

problem was they would chase you off of there

a lot at night. Used to call the area around the

concrete battery "the Nunnery",

Great thread...love reading about "the good old days" even though it wss way before my time. Remember...as bad as it is now...it can always get worse. Lets keep our foot on the gas towards conservation as to not let it get worse.

North End of Longbranch jetty. Used to park in the Getty station. The rockpile I used to cast out to is now 100yds up the beach and the jetty is gone. 

7 hours ago, TopwaterPete said:

There have to be some absolute slobs in that lake between the hybrids, pike, largies, and smallmouth! I wish they would at minimum do what they do at Newark Watershed w permits. I understand they have to know who's in there...

Yes there are. Even before 9/11 it was shore fishing only. With a pass. And at a very few limited locales. Had to know someone in the water dept  or Newark residents I believe.  Only boat was the “caretaker “. (Fishing guide). But yeah even the panfish. 2lb perch true dinner plate crappies etc. probably never have access again  damn shame. 

5 hours ago, RockRonin said:

North End of Longbranch jetty. Used to park in the Getty station. The rockpile I used to cast out to is now 100yds up the beach and the jetty is gone. 

That was Paulies Jetty named after Paulie the owner of Monmouth B&T that used to be on the south side of the Getty next to Islanders.

Stay off my Jetty!  Especially that nice flat top rock at the end of the wood core you could access at low water.

11 hours ago, crazybellringer said:

berkley sea food. 

Good call,

I forgot about them.

Though it’s still weird to see that blank / flat spot there.

JD

The Outpost... an ice cream stand on the right about half way back from Sunset Beach on Sunset Blvd. 

Nothing like a cold cone after a day at the point. Dripping all over while wolfing it down! 

I think it's some sort of scenic view parking lot these days. 

This was a great spot to drift past with a tandem rig with squid strip. The current would rip past it but a lot of the time it was a great speed to attract flounder. 

Erosion is the main reason that it's been shrinking for the past half century. I suppose it is still a decent spot to drift fish but I haven't been there for a while. 

b1ae168538e75847b2612f64fa041593.jpg.f8352aa7c7cebab8c1ff5b3aad838bdd.jpg