Bob fishhead Sproul

Great spots that no longer exist.

Rate this topic

87 posts in this topic

Drag island in somers point. many a good night their with bass and weakfish. Also the 9th causeway going into ocean city. new bridges in both spots kill it for us land base fisherman

3 hours ago, D1fishr said:

Access is limited, spot is blown up. Had some epic weakfish nights and mornings years ago.  Grand slam was common here: blue, weakie, fluke, striper. 

592E243A-8ABD-4DA3-B3E9-48082D228428.png

I caught my first striper there over 30 years ago :) 

Spermaceti Cove on Sandy Hook about 20 plus years ago. Jump over the fence where the boardwalk for birdies is, hit the lowering tide along the crreek bed all the way out to the right. Got real mucky back there but deep. Great place to fly fish. 

7 hours ago, Bob fishhead Sproul said:

The last beach at the end of CM was my go to spot in the 60s. Deep water all the way up to the restaurant next to the Jetty motel. 

Beach replenishment turned it into a small shallow area that is only used by the surfers and boogie boarders these days :(

The Cove.:th:

Posted (edited) · Report post

Spermaceti cove. Literally a 10 foot drop right off the little land penninsula. Held good sized bass and blues every fall. A Great memory of there..2001. We were in a blitz of bass in blues in october. My brother hooks up, and its fighting a bit different. After a long fight, the largest weakfish ive ever seen to this day gives us her side. We look for the net...and realized it fell overboard during the mayhem. Fish turned, broke off. Me my dad n brother didnt speak to eachother for 20 minutes after that. lol. great memories. 

Totally reshaped after Sandy. Has never been the same. 

Edited by joefishnj21

The Hotel slough right off the Cape May beach in front of the Christian Admiral Hotel. The took down the hotel and the slough leveled out and the fish were gone. Large structures along the beach interrupt the winds that move the sand and the Admiral was one big structure. Slough was just a little dip in the bottom that lived because the Admiral stood tall. 

Image result for pics of the christian admiral hotel in cape may  

3 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

https://earth.google.com/web/@41.08549633,-74.27687787,105.86072148a,11440.70705775d,35y,0h,0t,0r

3rd biggest lake in NJ

Virtually off limits for my entire lifetime.

Used to get the day passes back before 9/11. Unreal fishing. Never got to go on the guided boat trip but worked with a guy that did. Craziest thing was getting there early and looking at the outflow into the river. Trout as long as your leg sitting in the current. Got yelled at when the guard arrived. “Get the f outa there!”  Man he was pissed!   

The old Highlands Bridge that crossed to Sandy Hook. Used to be a money spot for stripers at the base, accessible from land.

Gone forever. 

9 hours ago, DoorGunner said:

The Hotel slough right off the Cape May beach in front of the Christian Admiral Hotel. The took down the hotel and the slough leveled out and the fish were gone. Large structures along the beach interrupt the winds that move the sand and the Admiral was one big structure. Slough was just a little dip in the bottom that lived because the Admiral stood tall. 

Image result for pics of the christian admiral hotel in cape may  

Poverty Beach :)

The beaches between the jetties at CMP near the monetary. Didn't catch many big fish there but had a morning where we got trout, blues, porgy, kingfish, flounder, and a few others. 

Beach replenishment :(

13 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I caught my first striper there over 30 years ago :) 

That picture is quite a large area and I fish there often and there are some great spots. are you referring to the whole area or some specific region?

The Point Jetties in Cape May.

The 9th St Causeway bridge in OC.

51st St in OC. Although, that is as much a product of the poor fishing as it is an access issue. But getting back there really sucks now.