Bob fishhead Sproul

Great spots that no longer exist.

Rate this topic

87 posts in this topic

We all know of great spots from years gone by that don't exist or are otherwise not accessible. 

Remember the big concrete circular things that were just off the CMP park battery? You used to be able to fish off that battery and drop some baits around the circle thingys and get big weakies.  Beach replenishment and other factors made this great spot go away :(

What spots do you remember that are gone? 

The last beach at the end of CM was my go to spot in the 60s. Deep water all the way up to the restaurant next to the Jetty motel. 

Beach replenishment turned it into a small shallow area that is only used by the surfers and boogie boarders these days :(

Back in the day before the inter webs not a lot of people fished O.C pwr plant outflow.  Big fish used to be caught in there.  It was mostly a locals thing.  At some point and probably a timing coincidence the big fish did not return the following winter and internet fishing reports came into being.  And what happened next was tons of ppl start descending onto the outflow and they caught.  They caught a lot but only small fish.  And the location became to be known by everyone for fishing in a barrel for dinks.  But the last 2 yrs before the shut down some of the bigger fish started to make a return.  Not many but I got a few here and there.  It was a great place to fish year ago, and it still was toward the end.  And contrary to what many want to believe, not every place on that stretch of water was common knowledge. 

8 mins ago, TopwaterPete said:

The Sandy Hook Rip. RIP due to beach replenishment, plovers, and dredging. :banghd:

absolutely, some guys think its still there ??? they have no idea of what it once was

4 mins ago, bugsbenny said:

absolutely, some guys think its still there ??? they have no idea of what it once was

Or even where it once was

They think the False Hook is the Rip

Pre 1995 replenishment to 2014 

Sandy Hook 1930.jpg

Sandy Hook 1991.jpg

Sandy Hook 2003.jpg

Sandy Hook 2006.jpg

Sandy Hook 2008.jpg

Sandy Hook 2010.jpg

Sandy Hook 2014.jpg

Edited by Sudsy

@Sudsy Every year that I fish the rip I have to figure out a completely new strategy. The rip moves on a week to week basis when storms blow through and change the sand pattern.

Side note: check out the north beach point and how its become more defined over the years. I can picture the false hook filling in the hook and north beach becoming the new rip in the future.

Bug Light Jetty was a scary good spot in its day. I believe it is completely closed off now by the Coast Guard but it filled in due to beach replenishment before that. There was a very nice rip on the high outgoing that nearly ALWAYS had a few bass willing to play. Schoolies on up to fish in the mid 20#s for me, though I'm sure there were true cows landed there. A few regulars fished it and kept it to themselves (striper fishermen used to be notoriously secretive).I knew it was a good spot when I ran into Jim Cousins (RIP) fishing there and he looked mildly pissed.

1 hour ago, D1fishr said:

Access is limited, spot is blown up. Had some epic weakfish nights and mornings years ago.  Grand slam was common here: blue, weakie, fluke, striper. 

592E243A-8ABD-4DA3-B3E9-48082D228428.png

Great place if you can escape the greenheads! Almost got run into by a 3ft tide runner while standing in the shallows in the back bay... scared the crap out of me. 

Hey isn't this close to where they used to dump shells after removing the goods, either claim or oyster?  I always figured it was a good magnet for some species, mostly eel though :)