John O'

Hummingbird feeders.

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

We run several of these small 3oz feeders, and have several in reserve, ready to go. They're cheap, so we bought a bunch. When the old ones are empty or need cleaning, we just take them down, and replace them with new ones. Wash out the old ones  and we're set for the next round.

IMG_20190813_143015.jpg

Edited by bob_G

Bees have taken over both feeders, I’m seeing fewer hummingbirds each day, none this afternoon. I’m going to try putting out a dish of sugar water and see if that distracts them. Any other suggestions?

9 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Cool feeder....

Thanks, we had to put it on the pole to prevent the squirrels from attacking it.

9DEA1534-6AD3-4010-BB73-073F6C15D879.jpeg

Edited by VanStaalSteve

I had four at my 6 feeders the other day, and two rabbits hopping by them at the same time, really cool. Since we put up the six two weeks ago they are constantly there, very entertaining, and sometimes they buzz me when I'm too close.  Very territorial.  My lone feeder on the other side of the house has a lot of bees, but it hasn't disrupted the hummers at all.

Edited by John O'

I still have a lot of hummingbirds at my feeders. I was concerned Dorian may start their move, but it hasn't. This year we had more than we ever had.

Truth is....I wish the little guys would move on.

They're cool.....but the little peckerheads are chasing all the migrating  Warblers out of our yard.

They think they own the place, bold little things.

They will hang around until October (generally) or until the temps get too low.

They can tolerate cooler temps than you would think, and they go into an overnight "hibernation" until the air warms up in the morning.

As for bees, if they are hitting the feeders in large groups, say in the hundreds to thousand range, it's usually because there are no flowers for them to feed from. I had this happen a few years back during a drought year. Flowers were hard to find and our feeders were literally covered with bees and yellow jackets. I ended up putting out bowls of sugar water, and they would drain them in under an hour. What was cool was that you could walk in the swarm and they would ignore you. Put a small puddle in a cupped hand and they would swarm your hand to feed. No one ever got stung.

once they were done feeding I would put the feeders back for the birds.

Haven't seen one at my feeders for a few days. Had at least a half dozen regular visitors before that. We have had a couple of nights get down to the 40's over that time. 

Going to be pretty warm again for the next week. If none show at all before the weekend, the feeders are coming down.