John O'

Hummingbird feeders.

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Corpslave said:

Love to figure out how to upload photos

Why, these guys don’t want to see minnow pics. 

Borrow my Outback and fish with my son. You will really like it I am sure. Don’t worry about the sharks, just do not hook a seal.

Posted (edited) · Report post

My wife loaded up 5 more, it's been great watching them. I bought her a pair of binoculars because she's been using mine searching the ocean a lot lately, whales, seals, seabirds, osprey, hawks etc. She's loving nature as much as I do now, great hobby. 

IMG_2886.JPG

IMG_2885.JPG

Edited by John O'

8 hours ago, bob_G said:

I've had a real uptick in my hummingbird feeders in the last week.

Bob,    They are most likely getting ready to head back home for the winter

3 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

My feeders are a  mess, they need a soaking

I clean mine twice a week, my deck is a sticky messm, shocked I don't have ants. 

Hummingbirds are opportunistic feeders. If your feeder is closer than some flowers, they go to your feeder.

The difference is that if there are lots of flowers around they will seek them out first to establish their feeding territory.

When the flowers die, and before new blooms open they will hit the feeders.

Same with bees. They prefer pollen, but sugar water will tide them over until the flowers bloom.

Ants will eat from a feeder, but it needs to be in or around their travel route.

Heck, I've even seen squirrels try hitting the feeders, but then again they'll eat just about anything these days....

14 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

What's your cleaning method? 

Just a hot water rinse, I'm not sure if soap would adhere to the cheap plastic container and harm the birds so I don't bother with it.  Anybody have insight on this matter?

19 mins ago, John O' said:

Just a hot water rinse, I'm not sure if soap would adhere to the cheap plastic container and harm the birds so I don't bother with it.  Anybody have insight on this matter?

Yes, just hot water and no soap. I rinse feeder with the hot water and wipe clean with paper towel. Change water and clean once every 4 to 6 days depending on weather. In hot weather I change sugar water and clean frequently.

1 min ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Yes, just hot water and no soap. I rinse feeder with the hot water and wipe clean with paper towel. Change water and clean once every 4 to 6 days depending on weather. In hot weather I change sugar water and clean frequently.

Likewise to a T my friend, thanks for the reassurance.