John O'

Hummingbird feeders.

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I put up two at the beach house, kinda like fishing (catch and release without actually catching).

Both have been active and it's very enjoyable when they are. I use home made nectar of sugar and water - no food coloring, any other ideas to get more to the feeders? 

Edited by John O'

Posted (edited) · Report post

Change the solution once a week. It goes rancid pretty quickly in warm weather.

AS for getting more, get a couple of hanging flower pots of any flower with trumpet shaped flowers.

Edited by Gotcow?

They sell these little hand held feeders that hold a few tablespoons of sugarwater.  Hold them up near a feeder and they'll readily eat out of your hand if you have a bit of patience.  Really cool.

We gave up on the large feeders and switched over to these. They cost a couple bucks each, and hold 3oz of syrup. The hummingbirds love em.

IMG_20190813_143015.jpg

We have ours hanging just outside the bedroom window. Under the edge of the roof so every rainstorm the solution would get diluted and fewer hummingbirds would come. I mounted a decent sized plastic bowl upside down, on the hanging chain. Keeps the rain out and an added bonus the ants don't get into it much. We've got a bunch visiting the feeders. Several are bullies and will chase off others. I enjoy watching them with my morning cup of coffee.

3 hours ago, John O' said:

I put up two at the beach house, kinda like fishing (catch and release without actually catching).

Both have been active and it's very enjoyable when they are. I use home made nectar of sugar and water - no food coloring, any other ideas to get more to the feeders? 

Get some flowerd outside that theyll feed on too. Weve got 1 feeder and about 5 or 6 plants they feed at and there are constantly 2 or 3 buzzing around my deck at all times. May take a year or two but when they find it theyll keep coming back

Spent 18 summers on a lake in central Maine. Every year we put out a hummingbird feeder that was hung with a loop of mono. One day I look out and see a hummer had its head stuck in the mono loop. I carefully got him free but he was limp and did not seem to be breathing. My wife placed the tiny bird in her palm and very gentle pumped his chest. Soon he showed signs of life and 5 minutes later he flew off. I then hung the feeder with a single strand of mono.

The other trick is to get your feeders out early.  Once they find them, they tend to hang around all season. This year I tracked them online.  The first Ma report I read was in late April. Put our feeders out the next day. Went back inside, had a coffee, looked out the window and I had a hummingbird. Almost as if he was waiting for me.

31 mins ago, aglenn said:

Get some flowerd outside that theyll feed on too. Weve got 1 feeder and about 5 or 6 plants they feed at and there are constantly 2 or 3 buzzing around my deck at all times. May take a year or two but when they find it theyll keep coming back

Same here. I have some honeysuckle in my yard. They love it.

15 mins ago, Malsow said:

Same here. I have some honeysuckle in my yard. They love it.

We have had other birds feeding on our Humming Bird feeders and also the humming birds are stopping to taste the suet next to it occasionally. Changing every week is critical in keeping them coming back . 

Due to construction here we didn't get the hummingbird feeders out until last week. We have had steady activity since, but they seem to be the same three or four birds...a couple also seem to be repeat customers from last season. They're such cool little things.

20190813_171309.gif

6 hours ago, John O' said:

Red flowers  , plant red bee balm 

3 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

We have had other birds feeding on our Humming Bird feeders and also the humming birds are stopping to taste the suet next to it occasionally. Changing every week is critical in keeping them coming back . 

The mention of suet is pretty interesting. I wouldn't suspect that. I had a few suet feeders at my home years ago but the squirrels were always taking them.