John P

ANY albies ???yet

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

I was out today on eastern LI sound and zip.   Tough wind so we didn’t drive around as much as normal but it was very quiet.    Given the wind and that I was fishing with someone we didn’t do a lot of blind casting.    Caught a few small blues when we did.  No birds or busting fish.   

Switched to bottom fishing and didn’t do much better.   All small BSB and tog.   Worst day of the season for me.   

No Albies yet but the Bonito are definitely around, the higher concentrations seem to be further east at the moment though. Saw some dolphins very close to the shore this Saturday which is a good sign (I think) for the upcoming mini-pelagic season. Look under the birds in the picture below.

rpyoI6N.png

Nothing out there in terms of funny fish this weekend. Labor Day weekend has been pretty consistently disappointing in this regard according to my log. I expect albies to move in following the storm mid next week.

The one small confirmed school of bones I found mixed in with blues Saturday was immediately runned and gunned by the skiffs and tiller motor guys. 8-15ft of water bait thick throughout the column. Intelligent blind casting will be the name of the game until albert arrives.

NPV - the first bones we got into last year was Aug. 18

Was out in the kayak Monday and saw one small pod of bones, only ever had one shot at them but no takers. Caught a few this morning in RI, saw a few albies caught as well. A lot of fish around but were being finicky. The fleet was out running and gunning looking like a bunch of idiots trying to chase pods with limited success. Every fish I saw caught this morning was from blind casting. Not a single one was taken out of a busting pod from what I saw

20 hours ago, drunkenwanderer said:

The one small confirmed school of bones I found mixed in with blues Saturday was immediately runned and gunned by the skiffs and tiller motor guys. 8-15ft of water bait thick throughout the column. Intelligent blind casting will be the name of the game until albert arrives.

NPV - the first bones we got into last year was Aug. 18

Yup and 9/22 is when the Albie season exploded for us

Further east from you (as in the next state over), I was just starting to get a couple mixed in with the bonito (talking a limited sample size of 2 that I caught from shore)...but it seems like the weather front that pushed through last Wednesday had put off them off for a while...Heard they were back around, but didn't see much aside from blues and more small bonito at the spots I fished

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 2:26 PM, Bmawds said:

The fleet was out running and gunning looking like a bunch of idiots trying to chase pods with limited success.

Yup, saw it this weekend in the Western Sound.  Best thing was, the schools were all 1 lb bluefish

On 8/26/2019 at 10:11 AM, NPV said:

No Albies yet but the Bonito are definitely around, the higher concentrations seem to be further east at the moment though. Saw some dolphins very close to the shore this Saturday which is a good sign (I think) for the upcoming mini-pelagic season. Look under the birds in the picture below.

rpyoI6N.png

That’s and awesome shot

Good number of albies around this morning, eastern sound. Went 0-6 and just had one of those days. Just sat back and watched them do their thing after awhile. Later in the day found an absurd amount of bait in 1-2ft of water being harassed by 26-30 inch bass on the incoming. Definitely made up for the schooling I got earlier