John P

ANY albies ???yet

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Hopefully this subject will get some FISHING reports going for the CT thread.  Seems the striper reports are non existent. I will be on the hunt starting tomorrow and will report on what I find if anything. Good hunting...

was just talking about this on Sunday while out fishing.  It is so slow and virtually dead midsound right now.  My buddy said "I hope the albie run is a good one this year"

seems to be plenty of their favorite food sources around, we'll see.  Keeps us posted on your hunt tomorrow

C

No bonito down that way yet? They've been around in varying numbers up the street from you in RI. I've been trying from shore and while I have caught a couple, I've been suffering from the 'you should have been here yesterday' thing regarding catching them in better numbers (I've had single fish days on two occasions and had exactly one other chance during 3 of the remaining trips out of 5 taken the past two weeks)...The only 'albie' news I can offer is that I know someone who hooked up on something that was far more 'albie' like than the bonito we've been catching (including that rapid rod tip pumping you experience at the end of a long run)...but that fish was lost

It may be early for albies in LIS. They may show after the dolphins and a few humpbacks make their appearance. The striper bite for me picks up now through Oct in the western Sound. Last Thursday was my best striper day of ‘19. 

I tried to follow a school of mackerel sunday afternoon, but I was on my kayak and they were too fast, disappeared before I could get a good shot, it didn't seem like bonito were with them but can't be positive. The terns were working rain bait all morning so it can't be long now.

"optimistic" is the word that comes to mind.......   albies don't show in this are for another month (usually)    I dont' blame you for trying though-  not like theres anything else to do

On 8/14/2019 at 10:49 AM, nateD said:

I tried to follow a school of mackerel sunday afternoon, but I was on my kayak and they were too fast, disappeared before I could get a good shot, it didn't seem like bonito were with them but can't be positive. The terns were working rain bait all morning so it can't be long now.

what color were the mackerel? i'm looking at picking up some mack-colored plugs and see green and blue as the two popular choices. have not seen one in the sound in person but have been told chub mackerel have been around. i feel like when I started out I bought a bunch of random stuff and need to hone in on some colors that might up my chances. 

I was fishing SOCO last week and it was mackerel all over.  Chub, in tight schools moving very fast.   Fun with fly rod and light tackle.  Didn't see any big fish on them.  No albies but did have one small pod of bonito pop up near us and landed a small one.   Tons of small bait all over the place.   There were some small blues and stripers chomping the bait as well. 

14 hours ago, youngc said:

what color were the mackerel? i'm looking at picking up some mack-colored plugs and see green and blue as the two popular choices. have not seen one in the sound in person but have been told chub mackerel have been around. i feel like when I started out I bought a bunch of random stuff and need to hone in on some colors that might up my chances. 

chub mackerel are mostly silver-sided fish-  with some grey/green on the dorsal surfaces...….  nothing like the vibrant green seen on the atlantic mackerel common in the CCC

Posted (edited) · Report post

15 hours ago, youngc said:

I didn’t get a great look but definitely didn’t see vibrant green, looked more bluish grey

Edited by nateD

On 8/13/2019 at 1:27 PM, cheech said:

It may be early for albies in LIS. They may show after the dolphins and a few humpbacks make their appearance. The striper bite for me picks up now through Oct in the western Sound. Last Thursday was my best striper day of ‘19. 

Definitely early for them in LIS, at least western sound.  I also had some great days for stripers lately, seems to be picking up.