cashews121

Crab Traps

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

I'm not the most frequent crabber, but I've had no problem on the same traps that have been used forever, those being the star-style or box style that you deploy with a rope. Bait them with your preferred bait (bunker, chicken, etc) and wait a few mins to haul them up.

I use box traps.. they work very nicely. Use a zip tie to hold a chicken leg on so the turtles (or crabzilla) don’t steal it. I wait 8 minutes between pulls. Brackish water...

Box traps are probably the most common and easiest to do, however I do like to use one big trap and pick it up at the end of the trip.

Not much has changed!  Old tech consisting of box traps and a ratty igloo cooler still going strong. Van Staal and Yeti have not hit the crab trap market... yet. 

A flashlight, net and moving water works really well too and is more exciting! But yeah I dont think crab tech has to change much lol.

I was out in Nassau County stopped at Long Island Outdoorsman and looked at the traps..I dont remember them being so light and flimsy..I was afraid to buy one.

I'm sure a box trap would last very long and do you well. 

My first and current crab trap is a BPS metal basket-style. Works good for what I need it to do. Just put some lead on the bottom and zip tie the cheapest chicken you can find on. 

Cheap, easy, relaxing crabbing - hand lines.

Easy, relaxing crabbing, with the ability to cover more area - box traps you can throw way out there.

Fast moving, most productive crabbing - 20-30 topless traps on a boat that never comes out of gear.

12 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

Cheap, easy, relaxing crabbing - hand lines.

Easy, relaxing crabbing, with the ability to cover more area - box traps you can throw way out there.

Fast moving, most productive crabbing - 20-30 topless traps on a boat that never comes out of gear.

Necking (handlines) are a right of passage down here. 

We use a combination of trotlines and perfectionist ring traps. The perfectionist traps ain’t cheap, but they're the best collapsible trap around. They're handmade by a guy here and they last a long time. Google perfectionist crab traps and check them out. He turns them out pretty quickly. 

On 8/13/2019 at 8:14 PM, cashews121 said:

I was out in Nassau County stopped at Long Island Outdoorsman and looked at the traps..I dont remember them being so light and flimsy..I was afraid to buy one.

One Stop Bait and Tackle in Atlantic City has some good quality traps but as chip nice said there are "blue colored" traps online that are very good quality.

8 hours ago, JerseyMike609 said:

One Stop Bait and Tackle in Atlantic City has some good quality traps but as chip nice said there are "blue colored" traps online that are very good quality.

Blue Colored?