ermghoti

Retooling for the Current New England Deep Sea Party Boat

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

This summer, I realized I had built up my gear and techniques for the party boats around 20 years ago, when the average fish was a 8-15lb cod, and if you didn't have something in the low 30 pound class, you didn't ask about the pool. Now, the primary target is usually 17-20" haddock, which used to be shorts back then. Pool fish is often as not under 10lbs.

Setting aside how sad that is (I have to assume the haddock population is in decent shape if they keep boosting the possession limit and dropping the size, but still), I noticed I hadn't necessarily been getting as much as the next guy, with a few dropped fish a trip, which used to happen never. I've adjusted my rigs since, and the catch rates picked up with some tuning.

As for the tackle, I've had a monster rod, a custom build by CMS, IIRC, bought at the Worcester Sportsman Expo probably when he was working from home. It's a beast, but totally wasted on today's conditions. I dug around, and came up with a 320GT2 and a 30-50lb 7' Slammer rod, which are probably good enough.

However, I still prefer the 8' rod, as it gives you a little more room to steer, and the length helps when it's time to swing a fish over the rail. I could also envision a little more tip action, while retaining the backbone to swing a large dogfish or modest cod for an efficient release, or a little jigging if the day happens to call for it.

I was kicking around the idea of building one, maybe a GSB1201M (or L?) trimmed to the correct power, then cut down at the butt to 8'. However, if the perfect rod exists off-the-shelf, I'd consider that.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Check 8' Black Hole Challenger Bank L, M, MH rods.

I used to use  8' heavy rods, but I enjoy more with lighter rods for cod or haddock.

cod2.jpg

Edited by ksong

4 hours ago, ermghoti said:

This summer, I realized I had built up my gear and techniques for the party boats around 20 years ago, when the average fish was a 8-15lb cod, and if you didn't have something in the low 30 pound class, you didn't ask about the pool. Now, the primary target is usually 17-20" haddock, which used to be shorts back then. Pool fish is often as not under 10lbs.

Setting aside how sad that is (I have to assume the haddock population is in decent shape if they keep boosting the possession limit and dropping the size, but still), I noticed I hadn't necessarily been getting as much as the next guy, with a few dropped fish a trip, which used to happen never. I've adjusted my rigs since, and the catch rates picked up with some tuning.

As for the tackle, I've had a monster rod, a custom build by CMS, IIRC, bought at the Worcester Sportsman Expo probably when he was working from home. It's a beast, but totally wasted on today's conditions. I dug around, and came up with a 320GT2 and a 30-50lb 7' Slammer rod, which are probably good enough.

However, I still prefer the 8' rod, as it gives you a little more room to steer, and the length helps when it's time to swing a fish over the rail. I could also envision a little more tip action, while retaining the backbone to swing a large dogfish or modest cod for an efficient release, or a little jigging if the day happens to call for it.

I was kicking around the idea of building one, maybe a GSB1201M (or L?) trimmed to the correct power, then cut down at the butt to 8'. However, if the perfect rod exists off-the-shelf, I'd consider that.

I did the same thing you did a few years back. I have heavier rods for deeper water, heavier current & bigger pollack.

4 mins ago, ksong said:

I used to use  8' heavy rods, but I enjoy more with lighter rods for cod or haddock.

cod2.jpg

I agree with Kil here. Not cheap, though less expensive than my other faves which are custom built UC's. I have the 731. At some point I'd like an 8'.

So light, sensitive and suprizingly strong. Honestly, a pleasure to fish with.

JD

I used to use 8' rod for cod, but it is pure pleasure to use 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special Slow Pitch jigging rod or 6'9" Black Hole Challenger Bank 691 UL for cod and haddock.

3 hours ago, ksong said:

Right after I posted, it occurred to me to check jignpop. The 8' medium seems to be in my wheelhouse; maybe it could double duty for 'tog, or would it be better to go with the 7'3" M and compromise on the length a little?

3 hours ago, ksong said:

I used to use 8' rod for cod, but it is pure pleasure to use 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special Slow Pitch jigging rod or 6'9" Black Hole Challenger Bank 691 UL for cod and haddock.

The shorter rods get on my nerves a little swinging fish, especially if I end up n the stern, or in bigger seas. I like to be able to hold the sinker right on the bottom. That said, I found it easier to lob cast with the 7'.

I'd be psychologically concerned swinging a lot of fish with a rod that bends that much, but I'm sure I'd get used to it. A lot of guys have some awfully light sticks out there.

What says the hive mind on the Penn 320 GT2? I thought I had nailed it, but the levelwind stalled for a couple seconds at one point, and now I'm worried about beating it to death. I have a GT330, butI'd prefer a robust levelwind 16-20 oz or so. I'm adept at thumbing, but it puts my wrist in an awkward position, it then gets tiring from compensating, and sometimes results in an inconvenient repositioning during a retrieve when I'd rather be focused on maintaining steady contact with the fish.

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you want to swing cod, I don't recommend lighter than Black Hole Challenger Bank M or Charter Special MH rods. :)  But I assume most cod or haddock is under 10 lb. 

Those rods are still light. They are under 10 oz.

Edited by ksong