Slack Tidings

‘Assault’ rifle?

Rate this topic

131 posts in this topic

Frank, used the term earlier today and I just wanted a reality check - you do realize that ‘assult’ rifles are no different than any other commercially available firearm, just dressed up to LOOK like something military edition and much more potent, right? A super nerdy thing to buy IMO but no more deadly than anything else. 

She is uninformed (again)

"Assault rifle" 

There is no such thing in the military or any armed forces group, police, swat etc 

The term came about from the antigun legislation advocates.

Many rifles can simply be modified with a clip or magazine to make them automatic. 

Many rifles can simply be modified with a clip or magazine to make them automatic. 

How so wrong you are! Please there is a whole lot more that has to go on to make a Machine GUN!

2 hours ago, iphish said:

She is uninformed (again)

"Assault rifle" 

There is no such thing in the military or any armed forces group, police, swat etc 

The term came about from the antigun legislation advocates.

Really ?  A clip or magazine does not make ANY rifle automatic.

You sound like most politicians ... basically not knowing the details (I'm being nice here).

Many don’t understand the difference between automatic and semi-automatic weapons. I’m not a gun nut but grew up with them....while I sympathize with the message, all the “assault rifle” rhetoric is mind numbingly dull and comes from folks who are completely oblivious and it ultimately hurts the cause.  

4 hours ago, iphish said:

I heard that too.  From someone who had no idea what they were talking about.  

3 mins ago, fish'nmagician said:

I think anyone who wants to buy a rambo gun because it looks badass is exactly the sort of person that needs a second look.

That's silly 

8 mins ago, RiverRaider said:

That's silly 

maybe,

but I think anyone who wants a gun to feel like a badass might be the sort of person that needs a hard look into.

8 mins ago, fish'nmagician said:

maybe,

but I think anyone who wants a gun to feel like a badass might be the sort of person that needs a hard look into.

Fortunately,  you don't get t make these decisions