Al_Dente

WTB Travel Surf Rod. Spinning.

12 posts in this topic

Looking to buy a travel (3,4pc) surf rod for a trip I’m taking. Open to whatever length anyone may have as long as it’s spinning. Looking to keep it under $120, and throws in the 1/2-2 range. Thanks!

17 hours ago, Al_Dente said:

Looking to buy a travel (3,4pc) surf rod for a trip I’m taking. Open to whatever length anyone may have as long as it’s spinning. Looking to keep it under $120, and throws in the 1/2-2 range. Thanks!

Where are you located?

I was looking into travel surf rods recently, ended up grabbing a Triumph 9’ off the auction site.  Those are going to cost more than you’re looking to spend though.  At that price point take a look at the Tsunami TSTSS-933M.  It’s a 3 pc for under $100, and might be fine for your needs, esp if it’s not something you’re going to be using all the time.  I was close to buying one just for something to throw in the beach cart when I’m on the Cape with the family.  Good luck.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have Albright 10' 4pc rod in sturdy tube case w/ cordura cover. 

don't remember exact rating, but pretty sure it's within your desired range. 

I can check at home if interested. 

Edited by misha

If you are just looking for a cheap travel rod, Mako has telescoping rods up to 9 ft for under $50 bucks. Are they a "surf" rod, NO, are they great rods, NO,but will they get the job done in a pinch and fit easily into a carry on or suitcase, YES!

4 hours ago, mcdonams said:

At that price point take a look at the Tsunami TSTSS-933M.  It’s a 3 pc for under $100, and might be fine for your needs, esp if it’s not something you’re going to be using all the time.

I have owned 2- first one snapped on a cast but tsunami warrantied it and I still have the second.  I like it a lot, it casts and feels great imo, but am wondering if the failure of rod #1 was a fluke or not.  Haven't put the second one through much testing yet.

3 hours ago, sbcbmx112 said:

I have owned 2- first one snapped on a cast but tsunami warrantied it and I still have the second.  I like it a lot, it casts and feels great imo, but am wondering if the failure of rod #1 was a fluke or not.  Haven't put the second one through much testing yet.

More likely a seal than a fluke....unless it was a really big fluke

Do you ever come to Jersey ?

I have a Tsunami TSTSS-933M I just picked up for the Alaska cruise I just got back from

Never even took it out of the case

Few casts on the grass at home, other than that brand new