Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seadogg

Mint!

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I have a Scott STS 10wt I purchased used from the Bear’s Den a few years ago. This rod is an absolute cannon. It’s got some miles, but I just don’t see the need for getting a new rod as its performance leaves nothing to be desired. I found a used 8wt  STS on EBay a few days ago and I pulled the trigger, as I’m looking to replace my 8wt Scott Tidal. That rod is a little slower than I prefer, probably best suited for 50-60 ft finesse presentations. 

The seller described this rod as mint condition and that’s exactly what it is. It looks like it’s never been used. Even the aluminum tube is pristine. I did some research and I believe this is actually a reissue, wrapped in 2009. The cork has Scott’s modern shape, which is super comfortable in the hand, and the seat is of a newer design than my 10wt. The stripping guides are “vintage” design but they’re flawless. I was super busy towing today but I spent 20 minutes or so testing it out when I got back to the harbor around 6. It’s a cannon, just like its big brother. All I need now are some albies to put it to work. 

3DD9E8A4-5F43-4A44-9BCA-9D45EFA28AB2.jpeg

8D343338-C3BB-4D76-921E-F8A508A6E2AF.jpeg

A1E57441-FC51-4D07-BF56-175B371B75F5.jpeg

534DCA24-6308-4461-B2BC-6B6B77A4411E.jpeg

559CC036-2CA1-4AD9-9E18-C5505A84F3EA.jpeg

I tried one years ago and liked it but being 3 piece it was impractical. Pity they didn't do a 4 piece version back in the day.

Since we're raving about the old school Scott rods ... I got to say that I scored ($200 bucks) an old school G Loomis IMX 9ft 9wt 2pc fly rod that is "Mint". It also might be the finest casting 9wt ever made, all things considered. In general the 9ft 2pc IMX rods were. pretty special ... something made some 30 years ago.

Probably a reissue. I bought a Scott sts 8 wt in 2003, it did not come with an aluminum tube. The tube was a pvc tube covered with nylon with a zippered end cap and carrying strap—I preferred it over the aluminum tubes. 

I wish they they would return to reissuing classic rods.  They’re great rods. Hope you enjoy yours. 

On 8/19/2019 at 9:07 PM, ferret said:

the handle is on the wrong side of that reel

On 8/19/2019 at 9:56 PM, Seadogg said:

Huh? I cast with my left hand. 

Pay him no mind, just jealous he's not amongst the rare and talented left handed crowd like us!

Sweet stick. I have a 6 wt that's caught striper, trout, bass, musky, striper, snook, redfish, se trout.. the list goes on and on. Def my fav single hander.