fishinbill

Funny Fish, 2019

Rate this topic

644 posts in this topic

Not done yet. Went west of my usual area on a buddy’s boat and found a bunch today to 9 lbs and Bonito too plus a spectacular fall day to be out on the water. 

8A9B8504-D553-495F-9294-D2C94694BC1B.jpeg

1 hour ago, Steel Pulse said:

Not done yet. Went west of my usual area on a buddy’s boat and found a bunch today to 9 lbs and Bonito too plus a spectacular fall day to be out on the water. 

8A9B8504-D553-495F-9294-D2C94694BC1B.jpeg

Nice! It's been pretty lean lately.

Tuesday i caught 4 bones and 3 bass around 24". I search many locations of buzzards bay before i found them. Lot of places the water was still cloudy and bait was not present. I imigine today is going to make things rough for a while again. False albacore still eludes me this year.

On 10/15/2019 at 8:14 PM, DAQ said:

Nice! It's been pretty lean lately.

To say the least!  BTW, I amde the call the other day to hang up my albie gear for the season, and head to wachusett before that big storm wednesday night.  Very good call!

The reports are still coming in so why not go again?   Bringing tog rod and crabs for back up.  Maybe even try to find cod. 

That's what I'm going to do.  I've seen people catching some small keeper tautog from shore in locations that hold funny fish.

10 hours ago, The Riddler said:

The reports are still coming in so why not go again?   Bringing tog rod and crabs for back up.  Maybe even try to find cod. 

Tried two MA locations and one RI location (all from shore) in an attempt to find one last shot at either of the two funny fish species...one of the MA locations was completely void of any game fish life (bottom fishermen were picking up tog), second location had very slow action for schoolie bass and small bluefish (but no bonito or albies), and the trip to RI became a big schoolie-fest, with a sprinkling of small blues and hickory shad, but no funny fish. I may or may not have seen some bones way off shore at the last location - My suspicions are 'yes', but can't give a 100% guarantee that they were indeed bonito...they were way off, and the water closer to the shore I was fishing was still a bit murky

13 hours ago, stripedbassjeff said:

Bonito?

Nope.  Nothing.  Maybe try cod and tog next weekend if the conditions are right and keep an albie rod rigged just in case.   

out chasing bft ... none of those for us today but we ran into some impressive and aggressive albies ...glad i brought the albie gear just in case.

ran into some nice bonito too.  kept a couple for the grill / table.

734368A9-3308-4693-9745-4A0B7D9F95BA.jpeg