fishinbill

Funny Fish, 2019

Rate this topic

644 posts in this topic

Blind casted for 3 hours. Was luckily enough to hook up. As soon as it notice it was hooked, it did it’s initial power burst run and broke me off. My drag was too tight, I need to play around with the drag and calibrate for these guys. 

20 hours ago, fishinbill said:

The wind and chop were a challenge, and I saw one poor guy with a fly rod twice get his line in a huge tangle while fish were busting all around him.

That's how it always works!! Instinct and adrenaline work quicker than the brain.  Or it always happens when changing fly or adding leader. Sometimes we luck out. During tough wind last week.5d9215a1c5868_ccalbie0919.jpg.6f2caa2ac1ecc77338e6a0a84ead56e9.jpg

Last minute swap from offshore to inshore for Todd and his son.  Took some hunting but finally found Bass, Blues, Seabass, Scup and AL B !  All fish came on 5/8 oz Hogy Epoxy jigs

20190930_102709(0)-01.jpeg

20190930_102702-01.jpeg

Had a three day weekend which only yielded minimal results - zero bonito/albies caught at certain southside and West Falmouth locations (had a net total of one chance), one bonito and one albie caught sun afternoon at my second stop of the day (was skunked at the first SoCo, RI location)...and two bonito yesterday, broking down into a morning and afternoon at same undisclosed RI location as the day before  (one in the morning, and one in the afternoon)...everything caught on albie snax. Bait was fairly scarce, and there was very  minimal surface activity occurring, but blind casting lead to what little success I had

8 mins ago, albacized said:

Had a three day weekend which only yielded minimal results - zero bonito/albies caught at certain southside and West Falmouth locations (had a net total of one chance), one bonito and one albie caught sun afternoon at my second stop of the day (was skunked at the first SoCo, RI location)...and two bonito yesterday, broking down into a morning and afternoon at same undisclosed RI location as the day before  (one in the morning, and one in the afternoon)...everything caught on albie snax. Bait was fairly scarce, and there was very  minimal surface activity occurring, but blind casting lead to what little success I had

Too funny.

It's becoming more reliable to get RI funny news from the Ma forum.

2 hours ago, albacized said:

I was talking to Tan (is that his name??) Sunday morning... he said he got a 7lb bone on Saturday... 

Are spanish mackeral considered "funny fish"?

Caught my first one over the weekend while targeting blues & albies/bonito from shore. It hit my albie setup, a 7/8oz silver epoxy with 15lb flouro braid.

20190929_093357.jpg.9f8151ef6f4b391380c1662ebbababd5.jpg

Speaking of funny fish, I had a pretty mixed bag that day - one sea robin, two blues, a spanish mackeral and a black sea bass.

I was bummed that seabass season closed earlier in September. It was a keeper.

Edited by zak-striper

50 mins ago, ChuckieP said:

Cooling off a little Thursday thru the weekend with some rain maybe that will turn them on, at least that’s what I’m hoping, what do y’all think

One can only hope.  This has been my most challenging albie ever and I'm no newbie.  

With 6 or 7 trips under my belt and only 1 albie to show, it seems Exxon/Mobil has been the big winner so far this season.  

What do all the "real old timers" think the effect of all this wind coming will have?  Will it potentially churn up the water enough and push em out for good?

Not ready to throw in the towel, but certainly questioning my sanity at this point.

Edited by Roostahfish

2 hours ago, Roostahfish said:

One can only hope.  This has been my most challenging albie ever and I'm no newbie.  

With 6 or 7 trips under my belt and only 1 albie to show, it seems Exxon/Mobil has been the big winner so far this season.  

What do all the "real old timers" think the effect of all this wind coming will have?  Will it potentially churn up the water enough and push em out for good?

Not ready to throw in the towel, but certainly questioning my sanity at this point.

i've burned a buncha gas since early august for one 3 pound bonito and two albies ...i feel your pain...

Last year was a harder year for me. I have double the albies under my belt so far this year compared to last. A good 2 dozen this year for weekends only. Bonito fishing was unfair if you were in the right areas. Bonito were practically jumping into the boat.

Edited by SalmonAndStriper Stalker
Spelling correct :(

strictly from the rocks for me...every few seasons the stars will align and I'll have a trip where I slay...4 years ago i was on some popular rhody rocks one sunday morning and myself, my son and 3 others caught 50 or so albies in 3 hours... 

this season the fishing seems to be good during the work week...figures...