fishinbill

Funny Fish, 2019

Rate this topic

644 posts in this topic

Trying to catch my first ever albie this weekend on the cape... wondering how tomorrow’s strong north winds might impact the fishing? Does it tend to push bait and fish further off the shore? I am land locked...

2 hours ago, hmarchetti said:

Trying to catch my first ever albie this weekend on the cape... wondering how tomorrow’s strong north winds might impact the fishing? Does it tend to push bait and fish further off the shore? I am land locked...

Today most of the bait and action was in the lee and have seen it on the windward side. Best we can do is look. 

I went to my usual spot today and saw a small pod of Spanish but they were gone in seconds. It was pretty rough where I was and I was limited to where I could get to. I decided to head back in before i got sick.

I’ve done great on Northerlies after a good Southerly blow. I find them hard to predict though so I just go all the time no matter wind or weather. 

Honestly, I’m a little burned out with looking for them. Albies are  my absolute favorite fish to target in the northeast, but when they become scarce I lose interest. I know they’re still around and any day could be a gong show, but I’ll be damned if I’m going to spend hours looking for them and come up empty handed. I have a spinning rod and my fly rod rigged and ready. If I see them in my travels, game on. If not, oh well. Plenty of other great things to do with my time. 

1 hour ago, Seadogg said:

Honestly, I’m a little burned out with looking for them. Albies are  my absolute favorite fish to target in the northeast, but when they become scarce I lose interest.

Exactly. I’m still hopeful that I’ll get into them again, but lately I’m fishing for other species with my albie gear at the ready. 

Edited by fishinbill

Tried a few locations Saturday afternoon from shore. Nothing for me. The weeds and wind this year have been a nuisance. I saw one Albie caught from the ri jetty. Didn’t see any other caught or visible signs. A guy coming in on a boat stopped by the jetty and said there were a decent number of albies and blues across the River. I think he said he caught 4. Tried a spot in ma that looked great with bait stacked up. Managed one small blue. Wonder how many casts I’ve taken for Albee’s this year. I blind cast the whole time I’m at a location since most of the time this is how they’re caught. I’ve only caught one. Not a good year so far. I’ve been mixing it up lately and trying for others species. Had a good bass bite on Thursday.

Plenty of them around they are just not in the usual places. Have been chasing acres of them for the past couple days but they pop up quick and then they are gone. Have to be in the right place at the right time 

374A7D56-213E-497D-AF28-84E634867C7E.jpeg

24A9D191-1B1F-413A-AFC7-E6DD980A36F8.jpeg

Edited by Dthfrmabove

I went from weeks of not seeing albies to being surrounded by them this morning. The result was the same - none landed - but at least they were around today. I hooked what felt like a good one, but it charged faster than I could reel and the hook came loose. The fish had plenty of bait and were tough to catch. I only saw one albie landed among the multiple boats that were on them.

The wind and chop were a challenge, and I saw one poor guy with a fly rod twice get his line in a huge tangle while fish were busting all around him.