fishinbill

Funny Fish, 2019

Rate this topic

644 posts in this topic

1 min ago, Riptide said:

You are a fishy Mofo in that boat.   Hard to hide especially for you.   

I don’t mind too much when it comes to false albacore if the person isn’t being a nuisance, but it can be awfully hard to hide my striper spots. 

7 hours ago, Gloucester2 said:

DAQ - I've been fishing off that jetty you Rich and I have met at several times - I started in the 70's doing just that - I would fish 2 rods with trebles - snag a juvi herring and toss it out, put it on the jetty and stand on it then pick up the second rod to snag another . . .  once I was a little "slow" on the stand part . . . and watched that rod get ripped off the jetty headed towards the Vineyard    :D 

I was pissed at the time - but it's given me a lifetime of retelling that story . ..

Nowadays I think the "holier than thou" albie guys would give me **** for using bait like that . . . "Unsportsmanlike"    :D

Hopefully our paths cross again. I have met many people out there over the years but the old guard were the best. 

On 9/14/2019 at 7:24 PM, bob_G said:

Eye witness accounts from people skin diving near the west wall in RI. They said the bottom was littered with albies 50 yards off the jetty that did not survive a release.

I used to catch them in the canal on my fly rod. When I released them, as careful as I was, they didn't look like they would survive. That's why I stopped fishing for them.

That is frekin scary right there.

On 9/18/2019 at 8:27 PM, Riptide said:

Snuck out in the screaming NE wind this afternoon to get young Cooper his first (second and third) albies.  Also grabbed a few blues and a nice striper for the slam.   

FB_IMG_1568852730522.jpg

20190918_141728-01.jpeg

Capt. what do you use for a camera, your photos are stunning.

Shore. Fished a north east ri jetty just about all day yesterday 6am to 7 pm with a few breaks and a few hours at a different location   Saw about 4 caught. None for me. Didn’t see any pods busting. Very few fish around. Lots of people trying. The jetty used to be 90% scup 10% albeit fisherman. It seems the percentage has flipped. Most people on this jetty keep the Albies. I was shocked to see the environmental police show up. The bottom fishermen next to me had some shorts. He just gave them a warning. 

1 hour ago, JimKu said:

The jetty used to be 90% scup 10% albeit fisherman. It seems the percentage has flipped. Most people on this jetty keep the Albies. I was shocked to see the environmental police show up. The bottom fishermen next to me had some shorts. He just gave them a warning. 

I don't think I've ever seen a legal scup taken from that jetty... 

Edited by jettyjockey18

On 9/19/2019 at 9:10 PM, bassturds said:

Got an albie today. Some guys fishing off the end of the jetty had fish busting in front of them but couldn’t get any.  I had just snagged a peanut. Cast out immediately Hooked up 

Live lining for Albies.....interesting.     Wonder how that would work from a boat or kayak?    

I think using a West Coast Splasher might help get a little distance for a cast.   

I think Slappy could probably share some insight to what the guys on the other side of the nation have done or haven't in regards to live lining with Splashers.    

Congrats bassturds.

36 mins ago, flylikabird said:

Live lining for Albies.....interesting.     Wonder how that would work from a boat or kayak?    

I think using a West Coast Splasher might help get a little distance for a cast.   

I think Slappy could probably share some insight to what the guys on the other side of the nation have done or haven't in regards to live lining with Splashers.    

Congrats bassturds.

Years ago we got em off a jetty on MV livelining little 4 inch tinker macks on light line. Totally skunked about 30 lure fishermen. They ate it every time. Keeper bass liked those tinks too.

I cruised all the spots I was getting action last week and it was a ghost town. No birds, no splashes, no funny fish. Got bored and it was so nice out i zipped over to vineyard sound watching the whole way and still nothing.  Skunked today. I'm sure they showed up as soon as I left.

Edited by cj7fisherman