fishinbill

Funny Fish, 2019

Rate this topic

466 posts in this topic

From the rocks managed to get a few. But lost a giant albie which makes me think i need to go to 30lb test just to get them up and out of the rocks.IMG_0635.jpg.ecaf199c20d09d02dbe30c7fe9c417e4.jpg

1 hour ago, sandbars said:

From the rocks managed to get a few. But lost a giant albie which makes me think i need to go to 30lb test just to get them up and out of the rocks.IMG_0635.jpg.ecaf199c20d09d02dbe30c7fe9c417e4.jpg

Yep. 10 lb mono not going to get the job done there. 

Left the dock early for a tow, finished up, and headed back west through heavy wind and rain. Rather than head back to the dock I stayed out, exploring some areas where I’ve been on fish. Today was quiet in the usual spot, but I found a lively group eventually. The seas were horrendous, as I was fishing a windward shoreline, but the sheer number of fish was worth the effort. I broke out the fly rod and immediately hooked up. It was difficult to balance on deck as I casted and hooked fish after fish, but I just couldn’t walk away. After a while fatigue set in both from fighting to remain upright and the fish. I called it a day. On my way back I found some more in calmer waters, so I broke out the wand and rustled up a few more. Days like this take a physical toll, but they’re my favorites for sure. 

61A1573D-122A-4837-BDB0-ED19761CD39C.jpeg

Edited by Seadogg

I have a strategy question, regarding fishing in "heavy seas' for funnies.

What is the best way to position the boat? 

1) Drift down on top of a pod - where they are running towards you

2) Motor slowly from downwind up to them- as they move away

3) Position boat sideways to the pod driving direction- cast every way possible

i realize that the best opportunity to hook up comes from getting your lure in front of them, and assuming they are running and driving bait ahead...so it makes sense to drift down and cast and retrieve back in the same direction the bait is being driven.

And usually, they pop up so suddenly, you just cast at every angle you can, to get as close as you can..so....??

I prefer to be upwind and beam to for a few reasons. The wind carries your lure further, enabling you to maintain a greater distance if they’re skittish. If you don’t get a hit, you can usually take another shot, or even a few more. When you’re downwind, your cast is limited, and if you don’t get a hit, you’re now moving away from the fish, making subsequent shots more difficult, if not impossible. When advancing on a school, I like to keep them downwind off my bow at about 45 degrees, especially when I’m using the fly rod. I also try my best to ignore everything I can’t make a quick accurate cast to, unless the school is raging and it’s a sure shot. Nothing is more aggravating than taking a difficult pot shot and missing, only to have them suddenly appear where you needed them to be for the clean shot. 

Edited by Seadogg

Yes, I was thinking along the same lines, drifting downwind is best.

But, What is the advantage of being 45 degrees and upwind of the pod? Is this a fly fish casting strategy?

It is very hard to see a pod just out of reach, and you try NOT to take that cast, knowing they could pop right up next to the boat.

Last weekend I faced a boiling mass hitting the engine....right when I drifted down bow first.. on another pod....and took that bow cast...you can't reel fast enough ..for the attempt at the stern......LOL

Yea, the 45 degree thing works well for casting the fly at an optimal angle to the wind, but it’s a good approach even with spinning gear. If you’re directly upwind of them, you run the risk of eventually drifting over them. If you keep them slightly off your bow, you drift up to them and by them without sending them deep. 

You should have been in a 14 foot tin boat today. From 7 till 1. Horrible conditions. Still feel like I’m on the damn thing. Result’s wise I’ll be smiling for a long while. 

31 mins ago, Steel Pulse said:

You should have been in a 14 foot tin boat today. From 7 till 1. Horrible conditions. Still feel like I’m on the damn thing. Result’s wise I’ll be smiling for a long while. 

To be honest, I don’t think that 14 foot boat would have remained upright where I was. I took 2 over the gunwales of a 26-foot boat with almost 3 feet of freeboard. Either way, we earned our fish today, man. 

Haha. Yeah your right. I wouldn’t be out in that. They were not offshore far today which helped. The damn rain was the real pain. I heard some showers not 3 hours of down pours. I had to have bailed 20 gallons of water out of my boat through out the day and I forgot my umbrella. Don’t laugh it helps during short downpours.