fishinbill

Funny Fish, 2019

Rate this topic

423 posts in this topic

35 mins ago, fishinbill said:

I got into some bonito today from a kayak in Buzzards Bay.  Good fun, and I hope they stay a while. 

Excellent!

How far from Gooseberry/Westport?

Let the games begin(!) The Fat Lady is warming up. We got into them last Friday off the Vineyard. Several large boats forgot who they were and did the run and gun a bit too close and frenetically. We tried anchoring and then doing the (slow) motor to their bust ups. They bring out the best and worst in fisherman, and I'm guilty of both, particularly early in the season brings out my hysterical side. That said, they are good in Sushi rolls. And good (but not Albie good) on the fly.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I had about a half hour between jobs to fish yesterday, so I booked it to a place I saw them the day before while parked in my car.  Very sporadic, brief blitzes, but I believe there were actually a lot of fish. A couple times they popped up near the boat and I capitalized. Before long it was back to work. 

76F64CBD-8F24-448F-B141-4A28411833EB.jpeg

Edited by Seadogg

Officially, I'm on the board with two - but I've been chasing them for two weeks (5 trips to RI in that span) and it's been tough. And the two I caught as well as the other's I've seen caught have all been small (not like the tiny ones in the canal, but between 2-4 lbs...with a couple that were literally like a foot long). Back in the day, when they were more prevalent from certain southside /cape locations, I used to get them over 5 lbs with regularity (even got a 9 lb'er one time)...Nowadays, false albacore are the only small tuna I catch that are over 5 lbs (many times 8-10 lbs)...The only one I've caught in the past few years that was over 5 lbs was a SOCO, RI fish that is also the only bonito I've ever caught on an unweighted soft plastic (albie snax)

Two days of inshore Bonito fishing, two VERY different results.

Sunday was a windy weekend day with TONS of boat traffic. It made doing anything next to impossible.

We worked hard to get 1 bonito and scratch out a handful of blues. We opted to cut it short at a half day.

Monday my crew of regulars were sniper level casters and we all work well together.

Winds were light and off shore so conditions were ideal. Being a Monday most everyone was off the water leaving maybe a dozen or so boats to deal with. Several of which were friends (Including the RIPTIDE BAY) and other guides I like to fish near.

My guys today broke the boat record for casting to bonito landing over FOUR DOZEN !!!!

The feeds were insane, my guys didn't miss one opportunity to get tight.

Doubles and triples were the rule. On nearly every feed I got them near at least one of them got tight.

@Hogy 7/8oz Silverside colored epoxy jigs did all the damage. Tied to 15# Sufix flouro and 20# Sufix 832 Ghost braid.

It was almost too easy today with the conditions and the dream team on board.

Now the wind is gonna blow for a few days and I'll be doing yet another oil change all while wishing we could repeat today's action.

67905860_10215149221623761_277738655810846720_n.jpg

67969097_10215149220783740_9110757410238103552_o.jpg

68257413_10215149221183750_5779148877844185088_o.jpg

69286654_10215149222103773_6921878004150829056_n.jpg

awe....some.... 

Are they running small Capt? Looks that way. 

Any King Macks out there at all (not spots or whatever just in general)

I rented a place in Falmouth for a week next month and already cannot concentrate at work

Of course I get an occasional heads up from my friends who fish the same areas as me but I'm not asking tips on locations from strangers on internet. Plus isn't he a charter captain.