commercial tuna

Rate this topic

Wilgabeast

2 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Well, that season was a bust! Lots of fish but no money!

Unless you rolled the dice right.. on a fish the early in the sub quotas, I definitely agree with ya.

That being said, another factor is many guys fish hard drags and burn the meat to crap bringing it in quick. End up with high temperature meat filled with lactic acids. Leads to poor quality yake that does terribly at auction.

So if you take your time with fish, fight them for hours not minutes, the result at the dock can be much better. Even in an oversaturated market.

Edited by rst3

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

6 hours ago, rst3 said:

Unless you rolled the dice right.. on a fish the early in the sub quotas, I definitely agree with ya.

That being said, another factor is many guys fish hard drags and burn the meat to crap bringing it in quick. End up with high temperature meat filled with lactic acids. Leads to poor quality yake that does terribly at auction.

So if you take your time with fish, fight them for hours not minutes, the result at the dock can be much better. Even in an oversaturated market.

Fighting them for longer burns the meat more? Best case scenario is landing them as fast as possible and then swim them. 

4 hours ago, colby157 said:

Fighting them for longer burns the meat more? Best case scenario is landing them as fast as possible and then swim them. 

I used to go by this, but then got alternate advice from a buyer. Here's an example of a recent post of his.

PicsArt_09-13-05_50_35.jpg.5df1c7c693952915ea83b14bfd895eff.jpg

I'm guessing here, but I think the light drag/long fight never gets the temps and lactic acids up too high to begin with, and the long fight serves the function of basically swimming them before you even get them to the boat. I dunno. Whatever works in the end toward the bottom line I guess, but personally we've done better with meat quality and price using lighter drags. 

Of course.. longer fights run the risk of greater failure/lost fish due to chaffe offs, etc, esp if you're running J hooks. So thats a rather big negative. We use circles though. 

Edited by rst3

38 mins ago, rst3 said:

I used to go by this, but then got alternate advice from a buyer. Here's an example of a recent post of his.

PicsArt_09-13-05_50_35.jpg.5df1c7c693952915ea83b14bfd895eff.jpg

I'm guessing here, but I think the light drag/long fight never gets the temps and lactic acids up too high to begin with, and the long fight serves the function of basically swimming them before you even get them to the boat. I dunno. Whatever works in the end toward the bottom line I guess, but personally we've done better with meat quality and price using lighter drags. 

Of course.. longer fights run the risk of greater failure/lost fish due to chaffe offs, etc, esp if you're running J hooks. So thats a rather big negative. We use circles though. 

Makes sense.  Run 5 miles on a flat surface at a very slow pace = body temp increases, little lactic acid buildup.  Run 1 mile uphill, as fast as you can = body temp spikes, burning muscles due to lactic acid buildup.  

I think that's the general idea.

Gotta say though, the light drag/long fight is not the easiest technique to follow. Every second that fish is on the line and not in the boat is another opportunity for something to go wrong. And a lost fish doesn't yield poor dollars, it yields no dollars. 

On 9/13/2019 at 4:58 PM, hotfishgirl said:

Way too many boats for my liking,it sometimes looked like a city out there.One day this week i counted over 300 boats.

What did you find work the best when the bite was on Jessica? 

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

6 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

What did you find work the best when the bite was on Jessica? 

Cant speak for Jessica, but on the NS/NH/ME we do best with

Herring

Herring

Herring.

Absent herring, I'd put baits in the following order 

1) Herring

2) Whiting

3) Squid

4) Macks

5) Bunker 

6) Haddock 

Other boats and areas may obviously rank baits differently. This is just my preference, for my area.

7 hours ago, rst3 said:

Cant speak for Jessica, but on the NS/NH/ME we do best with

Herring

Herring

Herring.

Absent herring, I'd put baits in the following order 

1) Herring

2) Whiting

3) Squid

4) Macks

5) Bunker 

6) Haddock 

Other boats and areas may obviously rank baits differently. This is just my preference, for my area.

Thank you, just was wondering

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal