Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dave Peros

More Commercial Bass Days - Have Your Voice Heard!

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, C.Robin said:

Almost every fish will taste good this way lol.

In the inshore northeast, I’d eat almost everything besides bluefish over bass. Once you start bringing offshore pelagics into it, bass might as well be a trash fish.

I love blue fish on the grill !!!! just love fish in general.

Sooner or later someone, somehow has to be the adult in the room and to the gosh darn right thing. 

The ‘we need to kill them because if we don’t, you will’ mentality is ruining every single fishery. 

Asmfc is a cancer to our resources and needs to go.

At this point I am convinced that there is no other solution. 

Edited by Drew C.

This is always a sensitive issue since it deals with the livelihoods of commercial fishermen as well as the health of a fishery that recreational guys hold close to home. In the end we’ll all have to figure out and agree on some way to restore and sustain this fishery for the good of both parties. In my opinion it can be done, but would require cooperation between states up and down the migration path, and at least making some effort to clean up major spawning grounds like the Chesapeake Bay and the Delaware River. Taking a little hit for a year or two could pay off in spades in the long run, but cooperation between states and their respective environmental regulators would be necessary, which is easier said than done.

Massachusetts announced that it is not doing anything on this at the moment, and while it says that it might expand the season later this year if the quota isn't attained, it's worthwhile to note that it is NOT seeking to fill its entire 2019 quota, but rather the 2019 quota less the 18% reduction that's currently proposed for 2020.  

The announcement surprised me, but it shows that some folks out there are thinking about the future.

How big do you think the class of 2011 is now?  I figured they  were already at rec size (28") and I didn't catch a one that big this year.  I don't know that they will make it to 34".