Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dave Peros

More Commercial Bass Days - Have Your Voice Heard!

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, BarryW said:

Ah Drew. Cynical Drew. Even assuming you are correct, which I don't, what is the harm in trying?

People who put energy into any cause they find worthwhile are not wasting their time. It's also called leadership.

Cynical? You did read the first post in this thread, correct?  

The people in management positions just don’t give a crap about the resource. 

37 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Cynical? You did read the first post in this thread, correct?  

The people in management positions just don’t give a crap about the resource. 

I agree.  Their mandate is not about managing a sustainable fishery, their mandate is to see that Commercials make money.

If you fish for bass?  You have a share in the decline too....on the other hand...I wonder if this proposal is from the problem in the comm BFT fishery.  They will need to fish for something now if the lack of fat on tuna and low price at the docks continues annually. 

48 mins ago, The Riddler said:

If you fish for bass?  You have a share in the decline too....on the other hand...I wonder if this proposal is from the problem in the comm BFT fishery.  They will need to fish for something now if the lack of fat on tuna and low price at the docks continues annually. 

I’m sure it plays a role. If they can’t make money on tuna they’ll go elsewhere. Bass is generally $30 a plate  in the restaurant and $25/lb at the market. Obviously, not dockside prices but I’m sure those aren’t bad either. 

3 mins ago, hydraman said:

It’s crazy how expensive bass is. I eat fish but bass is not top 5 I don’t think it’s top 10 in taste fir me anyway. 

You must be out of your mind. Try to fry it in a egg and milk wash then bred crumbs. Also good in taco's.

18 mins ago, hydraman said:

It’s crazy how expensive bass is. I eat fish but bass is not top 5 I don’t think it’s top 10 in taste fir me anyway. 

It is ridiculously overpriced. Certainly not in my top 10 fish. 

But you you do get a nice serving of pcbs for your money. 

22 hours ago, hydraman said:

I agree. I have been chasing it for all of my adult life and I don't even like to eat it. It tastes gamey to me no matter how it is prepared. I think fisherman are getting close to $6 a pound for it. Somebody likes it I guess?

16 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I agree. I have been chasing it for all of my adult life and I don't even like to eat it. It tastes gamey to me no matter how it is prepared. I think fisherman are getting close to $6 a pound for it. Somebody likes it I guess?

Tack “locally caught on rod and reel” onto anything and the coastal part timers will open their wallets. I agree, not a great eating fish unless you treat it very carefully right after catching, cut off all red meat/bloodline, and it’s under 36” or so. I cringe at the fillets that I see at local fish shops.

5 hours ago, Shane_O said:

Tack “locally caught on rod and reel” onto anything and the coastal part timers will open their wallets. I agree, not a great eating fish unless you treat it very carefully right after catching, cut off all red meat/bloodline, and it’s under 36” or so. I cringe at the fillets that I see at local fish shops.

I'll have to try it after removing that red meat strip along the fillet. I have bled them though and they still tasted just okay. The only way striper has tasted relatively good to me has been when my wife baked small fillets in parchment paper with a dollop of salsa on the fillet and some summer veggies (yellow squash and zucchini) under it. Other than that- blah!

This is from the last one I took home, back in may of last year.  These turned out great.  Won't keep them until things get sorted out again unless I get a floater.

Marinade for a bit in:

1/2 cup olive oil

Juice of 2 limes

Chopped cilantro

Minced fresh ginger

Salt/pepper

Throw on the grill then

20180528_164344.jpg

On 8/13/2019 at 11:01 AM, Jighead75 said:

You must be out of your mind. Try to fry it in a egg and milk wash then bred crumbs. Also good in taco's.

Almost every fish will taste good this way lol.

In the inshore northeast, I’d eat almost everything besides bluefish over bass. Once you start bringing offshore pelagics into it, bass might as well be a trash fish.

Edited by C.Robin

There are a couple of things at play here.

Remember that Massachusetts has a 34" minimum size, and that bass recruitment was generally below average between 2004 and 2010, which means that there are few fish meeting the minimum size now that the big 2003 year class is is getting old enough that both fishing and natural mortality has reduced its numbers substantially.  Given the lack of 34"-plus fish in the population, the difficulty Massachusetts commercials are having filling their quota is entirely predictable.

The other thing playing a role is the oft-mentioned Tragedy of the Commons.  Right now, Massachusetts has the largest commercial quota on the coast, but New York isn't bvery far behind, and Maryland commercials, fishing under Chesapeake Bay rules, have been granted a very high quota.  New York fishermen fish on a slot with a 28-inch minimum size, and are free to focus on the 2011 year class, while Maryland commercials can beat up on the abundant 2015s (along with the 2011s).  Neither of those year classes are available to the Massachusetts fishermen.

Given that, Massachusetts is unlikely to hinder its own commercial fishermen from landing their full quota when commercial fishermen in New York and Maryland (and other states) are still landing something close to their full allocations (New York, at least, typically comes in a little bit low).  You go back to the argument from the last collapse, that states were unwilling to restrict their own fishermen from catching bass that will then just migrate along the coast to be killed by another state's fishermen.  That's the argument that gave rise to the Atlantic Striped Bass Conservation Act, which gave management authority to ASMFC in order to overcome the state-by-state competition over who gets to catch the bass.

The bottom line is that Massachusetts, and all of the other states, will strive to catch their full 2019 quota while such quota exists, and will hopefully have significantly lower quotas when 2020 rolls around.  

It's not the right thing to do, but it's a very human thing to do, and human nature isn't likely to change.

there are many long-time bass guys that I know of  (me included) who have simply given up..........   its just not worth the effort any longer, and we don't want to be part of the demise of this fishery.   I WILL continue to fight for the bettement of the fishery, even if I'm catching smallmouth instead