mako20ft

Washington DC Itinerary HELP

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

You guys are 3 for 3 giving me travel advice...looking for another.  On Friday, October 4th, I'm flying in early and done with the client by 3pm.  The meeting is at/outside Reagan.  I'd considered the 6:30 and be home with a cocktail by 9pm but was reminded I've got a friend that moved there in 2018 and she's worth saying hello.  Figure I need to book a hotel, Friday night dinner with her, spend a day of DC sightseeing, Sat dinner and nothing on Sunday but a short walk to clear my head and confirm my ride back to Reagan.

Parameters

If you can keep me under $300 a night for the hotel be great, $250 even better  Prefer older, something with the look of history.  Glanced at the Mayflower for example.

Friday night dinner is 6 or 7 on the 10 scale.  Great gal but let's not be to obvious with intentions

I'd very much like to see the Vietnam Wall, consider it a must.  I don't know the geography, are the other highlights basically around the Pool?  Lincoln & Washington Memorial come to mind.  I don't mind a decent walk but I'm good with a cab too.

Saturday night needs some life in it, anything is on the table.  Maybe a game is an option that weekend.

Really could use the help to pull this off.  Anything I'm not considering from a practical side?

Many thanks,

Dutch

I ate at a rooftop restaurant that overlooked the White House, or maybe it was just an outside balcony dining area, can't quite remember. It was a cool setting. I do not remember the name of it, though. 

I also recommend drinking beers at midnight on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. :D 

The Wall was sobering. 

5 mins ago, MikeMc said:

I also recommend drinking beers at midnight on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. :D 

Right hand to God, I've a flask for this occasion.

6 mins ago, MikeMc said:

The Wall was sobering. 

Have personal reasons from my 10 years when many were earned superiors.  Deeply appreciative of their role...

Hi there, I’m new here  at SOL, but a DC local.

Suggest dinner at Occidental Grill at 15th and Pennsylvania, one block from WH. 

Easy walk to national mall, which will allow walking access to Washington Monument (likely outside only), WWII Memorial, Korean War Memorial, Lincoln Memorial and Vietnam Wall in an easily followed natural circuit of about 2 miles +/-.  

Evenings are very picturesque, and it shouldn’t be too hot, so I would expect it to be enjoyable. Also this tourist  area is safe.

Since I’m local I don’t really have any good hotel intel, but the general area has lots of them, so you shouldn’t need a taxi or Uber until you need to get to the airport. 

3 hours ago, JMB said:

I’ll ask my friend who works in DC 

See if he knows the name of that restaurant that overlooks the White House. I'd highly recommend it.

44 mins ago, MikeMc said:

See if he knows the name of that restaurant that overlooks the White House. I'd highly recommend it.

:th:

13 hours ago, BPR said:

Occidental Grill at 15th and Pennsylvania

I just checked out their site...not bad at all.  Looks very convenient to the Monuments.  Curious, is this area a "late night" dinner crowd?  Here in Cincinnati certain areas just have a late dinner way of doing things.  You wanna reservation at 7 for two it's no problem but getting two people in after 8pm takes some planning.  Damn hipsters...  I'm a night person when it comes to supper so my curiousity.

I also appreciate the safety insight.  Always a wildcard in a new city (and my own as well)

13 hours ago, blastwater said:
Sat, Oct 5, 8 PM
From Eventful.com: National Symphony Orchestra at John F Kennedy Center For The Performing Arts on Saturday Oct 5, 2019 at 8:00PM

I would not have thought of that.  Much appreciate the help...

21 hours ago, mako20ft said:

Anything I'm not considering from a practical side?

Many thanks,

Dutch

Finish with your meeting, rent a car, go pick up the girl and drive her the eff out of the city to my neck of the woods.  Hit up a few wineries, then a distillery or two,  and opps, sorry can't drive back. Fall into a B&B and you're the golden boy.

5 mins ago, Cabo2005 said:

If you wander into Georgetown, Filomena is one of my all time favorite restaurants.

Cabo

5 pages to the Menu...each item looks excellent (authentic).  How is the atmosphere?  Their website front facing pic looks run down BUT those have made for some incredible meals in years past.

2 mins ago, JaseB said:

Finish with your meeting, rent a car, go pick up the girl and drive her the eff out of the city to my neck of the woods.  Hit up a few wineries, then a distillery or two,  and opps, sorry can't drive back. Fall into a B&B and you're the golden boy.

Jase w the plan  :cool:  I can hear it now... 

Dutch ol buddy...ur gal there know the difference between' camping and a BJ?

Don't know Jase...kinda doubt it.

Think she'd go a camping?