billthe5th

Mackerel species?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Dreamland said:

Those look tasty.  Did you bleed them first of soak the fillets?

Bled immediately as they went into the cooler. If you are using small fly/egg float combos you will gill hook them half the time anyway so they end up bleeding out all over you and the boat :banghd:

 

 Good news is at 13 pounds of fillets from 8 fish, these are easily the biggest I've seen in CT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TimS said:

Bill, you got any pictures? I've seen the chubs and Spanish a lot this year locally...but haven't seen any other mackerel types. Approximately how big were they?

 

 

Ran into a bunch of these last summer, none yet this year...we call them 'fancy mackerel' cause, let's face it, they are pretty fancy and look more like tiny bluefins than any of the other macks we see locally :)

 

TimS

Yeah, that was a pic from last year. One of the fastest fish I’ve chased. Blitz in line formation. Super cool to watch as the quickly leave casting range. Would love one on the fly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sir Defyable said:

Bled immediately as they went into the cooler. If you are using small fly/egg float combos you will gill hook them half the time anyway so they end up bleeding out all over you and the boat :banghd:

 

 Good news is at 13 pounds of fillets from 8 fish, these are easily the biggest I've seen in CT

Wow, over a pound of fillet per fish, good stuff!  Love macs baked of smoked

Edited by Dreamland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Matteo78 said:

I was always under the impression they were frigate Mack’s unless it’s the terminology 

Frigate Mackerel and Bullet Mackerel are different critters - identification between the two is pretty difficult and had to do with how far the pectoral fin reaches into the dorsal fin. In pictures with out the  dorsal fin being very clear sit’s pretty tough. I believe the posted is a bullet tuna - it’s pec fin looks right to be a bullet tuna :)

 

TimS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Matteo78 said:

I was always under the impression they were frigate Mack’s unless it’s the terminology 

Frigate macks are a different species than Chub Macks.

 

FWIW, Garfo has a identification chart that shows all of the mackerel and related fish common to our area. I would post a picture of it, but mine is on my boat.

Edited by MakoMike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2019 at 3:02 PM, billthe5th said:

Any thought on what species of mackerel this is that have been showing up with the little bluefish?

 

I know the chub mackerel with the big eyes, and the spanish macks and bonito are obvious with the different markings...

 

 but there's another one that looks like a boston/atlantic mackerel? Is that what it is? I always thought they were very specific in their temperature preferences, 45-55 degrees, but these fish are in 75 degree water?

Not impossible that they're garden-variety Atlantic mackerel.  I know someone who runs a charter boat out of Montauk, and he told me last week that he has both Atlantic and chub mackerel out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 mins ago, CWitek said:

Not impossible that they're garden-variety Atlantic mackerel.  I know someone who runs a charter boat out of Montauk, and he told me last week that he has both Atlantic and chub mackerel out there.

Tons of them. Pinhookers already fishing for them

 

I thought they were tinkers. They look exactly the same as the tinkers you see in the canyon. Some green bonitos around too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2019 at 4:02 PM, TimS said:

Bill, you got any pictures? I've seen the chubs and Spanish a lot this year locally...but haven't seen any other mackerel types. Approximately how big were they?

 

 

Ran into a bunch of these last summer, none yet this year...we call them 'fancy mackerel' cause, let's face it, they are pretty fancy and look more like tiny bluefins than any of the other macks we see locally :)

 

TimS

same size range as regular boston/atlantic macks, 12-15" I'd say. skinnier than the bullet/frigate macks, definitely not bonito or spanish macks.

Like I said, pretty much dead on for an atlantic, same stripes/shape, but maybe slightly more faded colors,more silver, but its very slight, could be seasonal variation.

We were getting them in 10-20' of water with porgies, triggers, cocktail blues, and the chub macks all together.

LAST summer we had a lot of fatter mackerel when fluking in 50-70' water, and I think those could have been the frigates, at the time we had no clue on those.

All the pics I could find were the chubs with the big eyes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.