billthe5th

Mackerel species?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Any thought on what species of mackerel this is that have been showing up with the little bluefish?

I know the chub mackerel with the big eyes, and the spanish macks and bonito are obvious with the different markings...

but there's another one that looks like a boston/atlantic mackerel? Is that what it is? I always thought they were very specific in their temperature preferences, 45-55 degrees, but these fish are in 75 degree water?

Nope, the one's I'm talking about have small eyes like a boston. We have had chubs around too, but these other ones have been mixed in, and a few per trip.

Can they just be Bostons? The only part that confused me is the warm water.

39 mins ago, The Riddler said:

If the Bullets are around King Mack’s may be around too. 

I was live lining a blue on Sunday, there were a lot of Spanish and either bullets or chubb macks around.  Had something take the bluefish but cut me off. Could have been a Spanish but I'm thinking it was a shark. 

6 hours ago, billthe5th said:

Nope, the one's I'm talking about have small eyes like a boston. We have had chubs around too, but these other ones have been mixed in, and a few per trip.

Can they just be Bostons? The only part that confused me is the warm water.

Bill, you got any pictures? I've seen the chubs and Spanish a lot this year locally...but haven't seen any other mackerel types. Approximately how big were they?

7 hours ago, BNickW said:

There is a lot of people catching chub macks. Bullet Mac look like a small albie. This is the one and only bullet Mac that I’ve seen/caught. Never caught a chub.

3587EEF3-3034-4C87-8F7E-C9E4643C21F8.jpeg

Ran into a bunch of these last summer, none yet this year...we call them 'fancy mackerel' cause, let's face it, they are pretty fancy and look more like tiny bluefins than any of the other macks we see locally :)

TimS