bob_G

Mini reverse atom

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Here's the mini reverse atom I was referring to in the squid thread. This plug is around 50 years old.  Keep in mind, this was not a Bob Pond plug. A very effective plug in it's time, even in spite of the screw eyes.

IMG_20190812_141249.jpg

I have a new one...front line tie is on the fat end an the rear hook is on the end by the lead....spook type plug.....but if it caught fish in reverse all the better.

5 hours ago, bob_G said:

Here's the mini reverse atom I was referring to in the squid thread. This plug is around 50 years old.  Keep in mind, this was not a Bob Pond plug. A very effective plug in it's time, even in spite of the screw eyes.

IMG_20190812_141249.jpg

cool plug,,never saw such a small one.

what do you mean in spite of screw eyes?

HH

5 hours ago, Ditchbag said:

Is that solid like an old time screwdriver handle?

No it's hollow, and has lead weights in the nose.

Steve Bob posted that Mr. Pond did not make this plug, do you have any idea who made it . It sure has a lot of Mr. Ponds concepts to it and One I have not seen before , What is the rarity and where was it sold? Hows the beach fishing going?

I bought 2 -3 of the regular size a few years ago to see if I could catch anything on them but had no luck.  I don't think I was really fishing them correctly.

17 hours ago, bob_G said:

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Unless your firm on the 50, Bob, my guess it's older than that. 

I recall reading the regular size reverse atom was introduced somewhere around '49.  I doubt that it would take someone another 20 years ( 2019 minus 50 years  vs. 1949) to come up with a mini version.

That said, my I'm guessing maybe 60-65 years old. 

1 hour ago, Joe G said:

Unless your firm on the 50, Bob, my guess it's older than that. 

I recall reading the regular size reverse atom was introduced somewhere around '49.  I doubt that it would take someone another 20 years ( 2019 minus 50 years  vs. 1949) to come up with a mini version.

That said, my I'm guessing maybe 60-65 years old. 

Joe,

I'm fairly certain on it's age. I bought the plug myself from Fishermen's Friend when I was around 20 years old. I'm guessing I bought it around 1973 or 74.

Fished with HFG and had surface fish smashing bait when all we had were swimmers.

I showed her how to tie the plug on POLISH style. Tie the line on the tail loop and drag the plug backwards on the surface. BINGO---BINGO. 

17 mins ago, oldgoat said:

Fished with HFG and had surface fish smashing bait when all we had were swimmers.

I showed her how to tie the plug on POLISH style. Tie the line on the tail loop and drag the plug backwards on the surface. BINGO---BINGO. 

Polish style...………...a simple word for un-orthodox.

I like it...……………...

The oldest plug I own is one of Bob Pond's first plugs. It's one of his original first 400 plugs he made around 1946. 

It's a wooden swimmer, with a rudimentary mackerel finish. On the metal lip it's stamped "Bob Pond Plugs, Attleboro Ma". The amazing part is, it's never seen water. I found it hanging in the rafters of my mom's garage. I have no idea who put it there? But I'll bet it hung there 65 years.

I can post a photo if anyone's interested.

24 mins ago, bob_G said:

The oldest plug I own is one of Bob Pond's first plugs. It's one of his original first 400 plugs he made around 1946. 

It's a wooden swimmer, with a rudimentary mackerel finish. On the metal lip it's stamped "Bob Pond Plugs, Attleboro Ma". The amazing part is, it's never seen water. I found it hanging in the rafters of my mom's garage. I have no idea who put it there? But I'll bet it hung there 65 years.

I can post a photo if anyone's interested.

Sure Bob post a picture Mr. Pond was the man when it came to early plugs of wood