Food

Info on Fly fishing for stripers SF/Pacifica

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I surf fish but my friends fly fish strictly freshwater.  They have been hounding me to get them on the beach.  I have no idea what tackle they need to do it.  Saw a guy fly fishing the great highway this weekend and since the water has been amazingly flat I figure it couldn't be better time to let them try it out. 

Any suggestions on rod/reel/line/flys would be extremely helpful.  Also an idea of spots where they will have the room required to cast would be great.

A few suggestions -

There is a whole forum devoted to fly fishing. Generally, what is discussed for the east coast can be applied out here.

If you are fishing the beach, start by targeting surf perch. There are more of them within range, and once you get one, there tend to be a few more in the vicinity. 

Once you you have enough posts, reach out to Uncle Stu. He’s the resident fly guy. As you saw in the “Catch anything today forum” He’s had some good luck this week with his personal best striper.

Get good at reading the beach for structure. There is a lot of good information on the site pertaining to this. Possibly more than anything else, this is what drives success for us who are tossing lures, it will be even more important using a fly rod.

Edited by Alferd Packer

Alferd thanks for the response.  Didn't even think about perch great point.  I definitely saw the PB that he pulled most impressive.  I have a pretty good eye fishing a long beach for what spots to hit.  Thanks again I'm heading over to the fly forum for some more info.

I am not a fly fisherman, but http://www.zenflyfishing.com contains great resources on perch fishing generally, but he is largely a fly fisherman and I assume his content on the subject will be similarly great.

The other resource I know of is Mark Won's http://surf-perch.net/.  Both websites are old but chock full of info.

Edited by TimS
I restored your post as the two sites do appear to not be commercial sites, my apologies

Haven't ever caught a striper, though I fly fish the salt a ton.

I'm up in Washington and mainly fish Puget Sound, so we don't have surf per say but lots of wind and wave action.

The most valuable piece of equipment to me is a stripping basket, which is a great line management tool.

You could make your own out of a plastic dish pan or buy one ready to use like the Orvis or Linekurv.

I'm sure Stu will chime in as he as that pretty well dialed in down your way.

SF

I made my stripping basket from a shopping basket and a bungee cord. I use an Airflo Sniper line, 3IPS sinking. 6w switch rod. I also spin fish quite a bit, because I don't like being shut down by big surf. I'm south of Big Sur and striper are NOT common down here by any means. I do lots of perch fishing. Barred perch run small in the summer and big in the winter, whereas stripers only appear in the surf between May and Sept. Welcome to the forum.

On 8/14/2019 at 5:43 PM, Reel Outdoorsman said:

I am not a fly fisherman, but http://www.zenflyfishing.com contains great resources on perch fishing generally, but he is largely a fly fisherman and I assume his content on the subject will be similarly great.

The other resource I know of is Mark Won's http://surf-perch.net/.  Both websites are old but chock full of info.

I restored you post, my apologies :howdy:

TimS