BrianBM

Hooks for triggerfish

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

17 mins ago, animalbarrie said:

White meat and it doesn't taste fishy at all.  All I did was add a little Slap your Mama seasoning (yellow can) and grilled them. 

1 hour ago, Blank Disc said:

They make AWESOME fish tacos 

2 hours ago, mwhitt80 said:

Very white, sweet, and very good. 

YUM! Maybe I need to start getting triggers now...

2 hours ago, mwhitt80 said:

Legal size on the gulf side of Florida is 15 at the fork (which if remembering right is down from prior years). The last few years the limit has been 1 per person per day with season that is about a month long. So they have gotten a lot bigger. But a 12 inch trigger fish can open it's mouth wide enough to swallow a 4/0 j hook.

I’ve caught plenty up here on Long Island, many well over 12”, but I have yet to be able catch one on a hook bigger than a 2/0. Maybe I just suck, who knows.

I’d prefer to eat triggerfish over basically anything else we get inshore/nearshore in the NE. Sea bass are close, but still prefer triggerfish.

Edited by C.Robin

2 mins ago, C.Robin said:

I’ve caught plenty up here on Long Island, many well over 12”, but I have yet to be able catch one on a hook bigger than a 2/0. Maybe I just suck, who knows.

I’d prefer to eat triggerfish over basically anything else we get inshore/nearshore in the NE. Sea bass are close, but still prefer triggerfish.

I agree. Sea Bass are very tasty.

1 hour ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Where do triggers usually hang out? I keep finding plenty of blowfish but cant find one trigger fish... do they prefer rocks?

I have caught them in inlets from the rocks at slack tide. I have seen them but not caught them in the sandy bottom back bay while targeting different species. Late summer. They literally came up to me while wading and kinda hung out there for a bit. Would stay close and I would think they left and then I would see them again. I think they followed my bucktail in from the deeper channel I was fishing (probably 8 feet depth). They were definitely interested in the trailer and would nibble it when I dangled it in front of them (don't know if it was the action or the squid scent). Probably had them come up to me on two or three separate occasions like that while wading. Always more than one, not more than 3. Felt like they were curious or territorial. When you almost step on a sea robin they seem surprised, the triggers I have seen are more curious. 

Never seen them out front but I bet they are on wrecks. I don't really boat fish. 

7 mins ago, Blank Disc said:

I have caught them in inlets from the rocks at slack tide. I have seen them but not caught them in the sandy bottom back bay while targeting different species. Late summer. They literally came up to me while wading and kinda hung out there for a bit. Would stay close and I would think they left and then I would see them again. I think they followed my bucktail in from the deeper channel I was fishing (probably 8 feet depth). They were definitely interested in the trailer and would nibble it when I dangled it in front of them (don't know if it was the action or the squid scent). Probably had them come up to me on two or three separate occasions like that while wading. Always more than one, not more than 3. Felt like they were curious or territorial. When you almost step on a sea robin they seem surprised, the triggers I have seen are more curious. 

Never seen them out front but I bet they are on wrecks. I don't really boat fish. 

That's very interesting. Could explain the triangular bites out of my gulp tails.

I personally only use sabiki rigs and have for years. Cut them down to a 3 hook rig, get a few rigs for 2.00 that you dont have to tie and fits a small flea or piece of clam well. Never had a hook bitten in half but have broken them trying to unhook. 

20190626_115956.jpg

20 hours ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Where do triggers usually hang out? I keep finding plenty of blowfish but cant find one trigger fish... do they prefer rocks?

Yes inlet rocks are where to find em. Clean waters key. I've only been able to get a few triggers from our area(FI) this year in spots that they are usually plentiful tho. Reason being I cant keep bait down for more than 20 seconds without catching a damn blowfish. At last they are pretty big now. They excellent eats as well.

1 hour ago, BigFischer said:

Yes inlet rocks are where to find em. Clean waters key. I've only been able to get a few triggers from our area(FI) this year in spots that they are usually plentiful tho. Reason being I cant keep bait down for more than 20 seconds without catching a damn blowfish. At last they are pretty big now. They excellent eats as well.

Clean water part is vital. Fished for triggers at a spot that is usually guaranteed to produce this time of year last week, didn’t get a bite because the water was brown and weed infested.

Anywhere there is vertical structure should hold triggers. Rocks, wrecks, bridges, and large marker buoys usually suffice.

Edited by C.Robin

5 hours ago, BigFischer said:

Yeah I was trying around that area, couldn't even get a decent blowfish bite going. I gotta time the tides right over there, seems like the charts are always off +/- 30 min. Thanks for the info though, I'll try to find some better structure.

59 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Yeah I was trying around that area, couldn't even get a decent blowfish bite going. I gotta time the tides right over there, seems like the charts are always off +/- 30 min. Thanks for the info though, I'll try to find some better structure.

No problem, try the hours around high water slack current. Which is approx 3 hours after high tide for demo point

19 hours ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

fire island... use noaa tides and currents add 2.5 hours to the HT