baldadonis2002

Summer Doldrums?

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Anyone else finding the summer doldrums are upon us and the fishing from the beach has slowed down ( generally speaking ).

June \ July were so red hot for me and life seems to have slowed down.... even soaking bait is slow.

Welcome your views?

Posted (edited) · Report post

You can try the morning bite. Sometimes the sunrise triggers a bite.

The water is a little cooler from the night and work the ebb or flood period.

You'll have some tidal flow. MAYBE! :)

Edited by SandSpike1

Same here... CSS

From a bucktail bouncing perspective, I was getting fish on every 3rd or 4th cast, fluke, Sea Robs,  Blues... even had Spanish on...  mid July was amazing for me - water temps around 72-74.

Water temps hit 75+ and things got quiet, cant even catch a Sea Robbin.

Same with soaking bunker.. I was running through 3 bunkers in less than an hour early July... now the bait soaks with barely a tap unless some Snappers roll through.

Saturday evening we hopped across 3 spots,  we tossed plugs, soaked bunker and tossed bucktails from  5pm - 11pm with 1 cocktail blue to show between 3 guys.

Sure you could say we all suck... but 3 non-googans with nay a white bucket in site!   what are the odds?

8 hours ago, baldadonis2002 said:

Anyone else finding the summer doldrums are upon us and the fishing from the beach has slowed down ( generally speaking ).

June \ July were so red hot for me and life seems to have slowed down.... even soaking bait is slow.

Welcome your views?

I lost a monster on a snag and drop on my boat yesterday...Most likeley a shark..I also found a 2 mile long Bunker school inshore...Caught a bunch of big mackrel,fluke,sea bass..It was pretty fun out there that bunker school was the biggest ive ever seen.

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

What we talking when ya say hot ?  Still plenty of life around .. water really never got warm warm on central south shore I think 

Ocean temps were 70 yesterday....And so ends that theory..

Edited by IslandSurf

Very cool islandsurf

Located a pretty large bunker school tight to a bridge Saturday night.

Seemingly nothing agitating them to boil, but something had to be holding them tight to the bridge and shoreline.

Snagged 2 (intentionally) for chunks , they were small... much bigger than a peanut, but small non the less.

May and june were incredible for me. Tons of bass, lost count of how many fluke in june... now, one rat bass and two bumps in the last 3 outings. No bueno.

I haven't been doing great on bass in the past 3-4 weeks, but the fluking for me on the south shore surf has been downright amazing. Not bragging or anything, but I have made 3 trips to the eastern end of the south shore since mid July and have banged tons of fluke each time. Some really really nice keepers north of 20" too. Plenty of blues too if you want cocktails. It's definitely been my best year in terms of quality and quantity.

On 8/13/2019 at 7:06 AM, baldadonis2002 said:

Very cool islandsurf

Located a pretty large bunker school tight to a bridge Saturday night.

Seemingly nothing agitating them to boil, but something had to be holding them tight to the bridge and shoreline.

Snagged 2 (intentionally) for chunks , they were small... much bigger than a peanut, but small non the less.

I snagged and dropped with the hopes of catching a shark...I had a 10/0 snag and a steel leader but still got bit off above the leader.I couldnt find another one after that..

Go owl fishing instead.

Just trap some mice in your garage with regular victor mouse traps that snap their necks, (although using live snake feeder mice comes to mind??), freeze the bodies until you have enough bait to fish, then tie the line to the dead frozen mouse's tail, find a Hooter in a nearby tree at night. Make a cast with your now thawed mouse and start a slow stop and go retrieve with a twitch here and there. Owl will swoop down, grab the mouse in talon grip and start to take off, enjoy the drag peeling fight until either the owl lets go or the tail falls off in which case the owl won and gets an easy snack, no harm no fowl. Unfortunately pics of your catch are not happening and PETA will be after you in the morning, but the thing we will do for the tug drug, right? Note: I have actually done this as a kid with my younger brother and it was a hoot, pun intended.